𝙏𝙧𝙤𝙪𝙗𝙡𝙚𝙨𝙤𝙢𝙚 𝙊𝙢𝙚𝙣𝙨

June 10, 1994

§My room,§ Aster said, watching with great satisfaction as her room quickly turned from the drab prison that it was to the luxurious suite she'd transfigured last summer. Now a whole year later, and much more sensitive and wise to magic, Aster could sense the intricate network of spells and charms that weaved through her room. She was damn proud of it - a labor of love, and was her first truly defiant act against Dumbledore and the Ministry.

Aster couldn't help but feel how her own life changed just as much as this room had. And it was all thanks to Marvolo. The man who was responsible for her parent's death was also the man who empowered her and gave her back her independence. It was funny how things like that worked out.

"Thanks, Marvolo," she said, not needing to explain what she was thankful for. Marvolo could probably see it in her eyes.

"You have come a long way, little one," Marvolo said, his tone filled with pride, echoing Aster's thoughts.

They both got ready for bed. Aster stripped down to her knickers (a thong to Marvolo's delight and frustration – his little serpent was turning into quite the minx) and sighed contently when she felt Marvolo's cooler presence spooning her back. Not only did it feel good in the muggy heat of summer, but she missed these quiet nights when she could let her guard down and sink into her friend/lover's arms. It seemed like Fate had conspired against Aster spending time with Marvolo towards the end of third year.

First, the energy that Marvolo sacrificed to track down the traitorous Rat via the Dark Mark had drained the phantom of his magical reserves. It was only just recently that Marvolo could leave the diary for a few hours at a time. And then the chaos that followed Pettigrew's capture, Sirius' trial, and Lupin's hearing by the Board of Governors basically consumed what little free time Aster had outside of reviewing for her exams. Her friends kept pestering her for the latest news, Aurors and other ministry officials kept pulling her out of class for every little thing, and with the Headmaster spying on her that she didn't even dare pull out the diary, let alone write in it. That was also probably why it took so long for Marvolo to build his strength back up.

But now, Aster was back where she belonged, in Marvolo's protective arms. She snuggled into her pillow, imagining it was a real arm she was resting on before she flipped around to face her friend, who conveniently emitted a dim silver-ish glow in the dark room.

"You're restless tonight," Marvolo observed. "Something troubling you?"

Aster shook her head, smiling. "Just ridiculously happy that we're alone again."

This seemed to please Marvolo, for his reddish eyes brightened, and he lowered his lips over hers. Aster felt it as a brush of cold air over her face but readily opened her mouth anyway to let the cool tongue in. She was tempted to close her eyes and lose herself in the kiss but knew from experience that without the visual cues, it would only feel like she was surrounded by cold air pressing against her. The lack of a real body was a major limit in how far their relationship could go; that and the fact that Marvolo wouldn't be around for much longer. That knowledge was always hanging over Aster's head like a dark thunder cloud, casting a shadow over any enjoyment she found in these few, wonderful intimate moments.

Marvolo sensed his young companion's mind had drifted and pulled back, to see those bright green orbs had dimmed.

"I don't want you to go," she whispered sadly, tracing the outline of Marvolo's face with her fingertip. "But I know you have to." Aster sighed as she felt Marvolo's arms close tightly around her.

"When I join with him, I will not be gone. The only thing that will separate us is if you choose to leave," Marvolo replied, voicing some of his uncertainty.