Chapter Four, Into the Wild

"Where are you taking us?" Frodo asked as he hurried along behind Evelina and Aragorn, Neville was behind them to make sure all the Hobbits kept up and that they weren't attacked from behind. "Into the wild," Evelina said. "It is the only safe way." She pulled her hood over her head to cover up her ears.

"Why are you covering up your ears?" Pippin asked curiously. Evelina didn't answer so Neville did. "She covers them up because of her past. Her aunt and uncle weren't very accepting of her because of her magic and it only became worse when she turned into a Kitsune three years ago on her sixteenth birthday." Neville sighed if he ever saw those Dursleys again he'd kill them. "Wait your both only nineteen?" Sam questioned shocked. When Neville nodded his head Sam shared a shocked look with his friends. "Your younger than us and you've both already fought in a war!" Sam said aghast. "How can Miss Evelina's family treat her that way?"

"Not everyone is as kind and accepting as you Sam. Sometimes that goes for family as well." Evelina said with a sad and bitter note to her voice. Aragorn clenched his teeth in anger the more he heard about what had happened to Evelina the more angry he got. If he ever saw them they'll be meeting the wrong end of his sword. "They can't hurt you now Mîr-nîh. I will always protect you even if you have don't need it." Aragorn swore as he held Evelina's hand rubbing soothing circles on the back of it with his calloused thumb. "Thank you Strider." Evelina whispered as she kissed his cheek.

"How do we know these people are friends of Gandalf's?" Merry asked Frodo in a whisper.
"We don't not really. We just have to trust them." Frodo whispered back. "And I think they would feel fouler." Merry grumbled about Strider being foul enough causing Evelina to giggle slightly and Merry go blush as he'd forgotten that she had very good hearing. "Miss Evelina could you of Mr Neville show us some magic please?" Pippin asked eagerly.

"I'm sorry Pippin but doing too much magic out here in the open with the enemy on our tail is not a good idea. I will do some once we reach our destination." Evelina promised.
"But where are you taking us?" Sam questioned.
"To Rivendell Master Gamgee." Aragorn called. "To the House of Elrond."

"D'you here that?" Sam asked his friends excitedly. "Rivendell! We're going to see the elves." As they continued walking, the Hobbits slowed down to find a spot to sit and started unpacking some food from the bag. "Gentlemen," Neville called from behind them, "We do not stop until nightfall."

"What about breakfast?" Pippin asked.
"You've already had it," Aragorn frowned, looking around them.
"We've had one, yes," Pippin agreed. "But what about second breakfast?"
"Dear Merlin, you eat more than Teddy and he's three," Evelina groaned. Aragorn frowned and kept walking. They didn't have time to spare for second breakfast or for any other meal they wanted to stop for.

"Don't think they know about second breakfast, Pip," Merry sighed. Pippin's eyes widened in shock. "What about elevenses? Luncheon, afternoon tea, dinner? Supper! They know about them, don't they?"
"I wouldn't count on it," Merry sighed parting Pippin's shoulder before he trudged on. Aragorn sighed and threw an apple at Merry. He threw three more at Frodo, Sam, and Pippin.