Chapter Nine, Halloween Part Two

(A/N: the story of the three brothers doesn't belong to me I'm only borrowing it but I have changed the wording slightly.)

"What is a Resurrection Stone?" Frodo asked curiously.
"Perhaps a better way to explain it, would be to tell you the story behind my ancestors." Evelina said thoughtfully.
"Does it have anything to do with you being the Mistress of Death and how you saved Frodo?" Merry asked, shocking those who didn't know that she'd saved Frodo it that she was the Mistress of Death. "Yes Merry." Evelina smiled kindly at him ignoring the looks from the others. "Do you want to hear it? It's quite a long story." Evelina asked, she giggled when all four Hobbits nodded their heads eagerly and pulled their chairs closer to her.

"The story behind with three brothers; Cadmus, Anotch and Ignotus Peverell. I'm a defendant of Ignotus, the story is believed to be a myth, but like all myths they were once true." Evelina started she looked around at them all noticing that all of them were looking at her expectantly, blushing she cleared her throat awkwardly as she continued with the tale. "'There were once three brothers who were travelling along a lonely, winding road at twilight. Soon however, they came across a river too treacherous to cross, but being learned in the Magical Arts thru simply waved their wands and made a bridge.'" Evelina paused for a moment and waved her wand conjuring pictures of the story so they could watch what was happening.

"Before they could cross their path was blocked by a hooded figure. It was death and he felt cheated; cheated because travels usually drowned in the river. But he was cunning. He pretended to congratulate them on their magic and that each had earned a prize for being clever enough to evade him. The oldest asked for a wand more powerful than any in existence. So Death fashioned him one from an Eldar tree that stood on the riverbank.

The second brother decided he wanted to humiliate Death further, and asked for the power to call loved ones from the grave. So Death plucked a stone from the riverbed and offered it to him. Finally, Death turned to the third brother, a humble man he asked for something that would allow him to leave this place without being followed by Death, so reluctantly Death handed over his own Cloak of Invisibility. The first brother Cadmus, traveled to a distant village, with the Eldar Wand in hand he killed a wizard he'd once quralled with. Drunk with the power the Eldar Wand had given him, he bragged of his invincibility. But that night while he was sleeping, another wizard stole the sand and slit Cadmus's throat for good measure, and so Death took the first brother for his own.

The second brother, Anotch journeyed to his home where he took the stone and turned it thrice in hand. To his delight the girl he'd once hoped to marry before her untimely death appeared before him. But soon she turned sad and cold for she didn't belong in the mortal world, driven mad with hopeless longing the second brother killed himself do he could join her and so Death took the second brother. As for Ignotus, Death searched for many years but he was never able yo find him. Only when he reached old age did the youngest brother shed the cloak and give it to his son, he then greeted Death as an old friend and departed this life as equals." Evelina finished.