Chapter Eleven, The Creature of the Dark Lake

They had been traveling for hours with no rest, for they were hoping they would reach Moria before it became too dark, and we're starting to lose hope when they heard Gimli gasp from up ahead. "The Walls...of Moria." He says pointing towards the large black rock walls ahead. "Dwarf doors are invisible when closed." Gimli told them as they made their way to the rather grand looking Mine, as he bangs his ax on the wall as he looked for the door.

"Yes, Gimli, their own masters cannot find them if their secrets are forgotten." Gandalf agreed as he continued to lead them to what he thought was the entrance into the Mine. "Why doesn't that surprise me?" Legolas said disdainfully.
"Legolas!" Evelina reprimanded as she elbowed him in his side, looking at him in disappointment as Gimli glared at Legolas and growled under his breath.

Evelina not paying much attention to where she was going as she felt like she was coming down with a fever or something, slipped off the bank, her right foot ending up in the icy water. Gasping Evelina quickly pulled her foot out of the water only to see Frodo had done the same. No matter how bad she felt she wasn't going to mention it to anyone, they had other things to worry about. Especially the bad feeling she was getting from this place.

"Well, let's see." Gandalf mumbled to himself as he ran his hand over one particular part of the wall. "Ithildin," he said in wonder as he stared at the mark just about noticeable on the wall. "It mirrors only starlight and moonlight." Gandalf continued, his voice barely above a whisper as he turned to look at the cloudy sky, only for the clouds to part showing a Full Moon.

The moonlight shone on the wall revealing a hidden door just where the mark was, Evelina gasped at the beauty of it, it looked like silver was woven into the wall creasing the marvellous markings that stood before them. "It reads," Gandalf said pointing to the Elvish words above the door. "'The Doors of Durin, Lord of Moria, speak friend, and enter.'"
"What do you think that means?" Merry asked curiously.

"It's quite simple. If you are a friend, you say the password and the doors will open." Gandalf told them before he put his staff against a small star in the middle of the door and proceeded to chant spells in hope the doors will open. "Nothing happened!" Pippin exclaimed disappointed, though he still watched in rapture as Gandalf tried another spell. "What're you going to do now then?" Pippin asked just as curious as Merry, as Gandalf now tried pushing the doors, but like the spells that was also in vain.

"Knock your head against these doors Peregrin Took," Gandalf snapped angrily. "And if that doesn't shatter them and I'm allowed a little peace from foolish questions, I will try to open these doors."
"Gandalf!" Evelina shouted appalled by the old Wizards treatment of Pippin especially when he ignored Pippin's hurt look, but just like a few hours ago he ignored her as he turned back towards the fours mumbling to himself about how he once knew all the spells in the languages of Elves, Men and Orcs.