Chapter Five, Meeting the Second Mate

"Mister Neville," Sam called. Neville looked over at Sam with a raised eyebrow. "Why is Strider holding Miss Evelina's hand?" He questioned which unfortunately brought the two mischievous Hobbit's attention to the aforementioned couple. "Strider is one of her mates Sam. They've been getting closer for a while and I'm quite happy about it to be honest as Eve needs some happiness and someone to look after her." Neville smiled as he looked at the couple who were oblivious to what was being discussed behind them.

"Does she know whom her other mates are?" Merry questioned curiously.
"No. She doesn't. It could be awhile until she finds he other mates or it may not. It depends." Neville answered. The three of them nodded this heads in understanding as they fell into a companionable silence.

It was around two hours later and they still seemed to be nowhere near Rivendell and the Hobbits were starting to grumble about their feet hurting as never in their life had they walked as far as they had in the last couple of weeks. "How much further is it?" Pippin grumbled for the tenth time in a few minutes. Aragorn rolled his eyes good-naturedly to Evelina who had to stifle a giggle at the look on his face when they heard the sound of hooves galloping along behind them. Whipping out their swords Aragorn ordered the three remaining Hobbits to stay behind them, though he did stand more in front of Evelina then she would have liked but she thankfully let it go, this time.

It was a tense couple of minutes as the sound of the galloping hooves got louder as they crept ever closer. They raised their swords ready for a fight as they saw horses come round the corner, only to relax when they saw elves sitting astride the horses. "Legolas." Aragorn greeted as he put his sword away, the others copying his actions. "Aragorn." Legolas greeted in turn as he jumped off of his horse and hugged Aragorn in a brotherly fashion. "How have you been?" Aragorn asked as they pulled back slightly until they only had one hand on each other's shoulder.

"I should be asking you that," Legolas stated looking over them all critically, he froze when his eyes caught the most brilliant green eyes he'd ever seen, they shined like emeralds that even the dwarves would be jealous of. Blinking his eyes until they adjusted and not only saw those beautiful eyes but the most beautiful woman he'd ever seen, who just had to be a Kitsune. Legolas felt as if his heart was being pulled towards the young woman by an invisible thick strand and he knew instantly that she was his One.

He was suddenly brought out of his thoughts by Aragorn gently shaking his shoulder. "Mellon nîn? Legolas are you alright?" Aragorn asked concerned.
"I'm perfectly fine Aragorn," Legolas smiled at his long time friend. "Anyway, I should be asking you that. All of you look like you've been fighting for your lives."
"That's because we have." Neville stated with a tired sigh. "Lord Neville Frank Longbottom." Neville introduced himself holding out a hand with a frown on his face, he really hated introducing himself like that.

"This is my best friend and God Sister Lady Evelina Wynter Lillian Potter-Black," Neville introduced once he'd released Legolas's hand. "This is Samwise Gamgee, though he likes to be called Sam, this is Meriadoc Brandybuck who likes to be called Merry and this trouble maker is Perrigrin Took otherwise known as Pippin." Neville said pointing to each Hobbit in turn who either waved or bowed their head.
"Pleasure. I'm Legolas Greenleaf of the Woodland Realm." Legolas introduced himself. "You all seem weary from your travels, come, you shall have a ride on some of the horses for the rest of the journey to Rivendell, for that is where you're heading is it not?"