𝘢𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘭𝘪𝘧𝘦 - mako

summarythat time you and mako are talking about another life where stuff like conflicts and fights don't happen -- avatar!y/n / mako
a / ni wanted to write an avatar!reader imagine so here it is :) hope you like it x

"why aren't you asleep?"

i turn my head to the side when i hear Mako's voice coming from the door. i smile a little and shrug, looking out over the city again.

"i was just thinking about some things. why aren't you, Mako?" i fire the question back, while still looking at the lights in Republic City.

it's so peaceful. at nights like these, when i look out of the window and see nothing but lights and hear no sounds, i get relaxed. there are no people around me that try to capture me, that try to kill me... just no noises, no fights; just me finally being able to relax for just a few minutes.

Mako laughs at my words and moves himself onto the balcony as well, his right hand slowly making his way to my back. he looks out over the city as well and rubs his hand slowly over my back, making me relax even more because of his touch.

"i noticed that you weren't next to me anymore so i wanted to know what you were doing," he answers me, chuckling softly. "it's three in the morning."

i nod at his words and close my eyes for a few seconds, just enjoying his hand that's still making small movements over my back. he's drawing circles, figures, writing words; it feels great.

"do you ever wonder what life would be like if i wasn't the Avatar?" i ask him out of the blue, making Mako his movements stop.

i sigh a little and lean my elbows on the balcony, leaning my head in my hands as i continue my previous question. "i just want to see the world without being scared of being captured, you know? everywhere i go i have this target on my back. it doesn't matter where i go, people like Amon, Zaheer and Unalaq always peek around the corner. who knows what happens next year? there is always something happening and it seems like i can't escape this loop of constantly trying to stay alive."

Mako sighs a little. i nervously turn my head to him, seeing him look into the distance while he bites his lip.

"what do you have in mind, y/n?" he asks me, turning his head so his eyes meet mine. he smiles a little and continues the movements on my back, making me relax again when i feel his touch.

i turn my head back to watch over the city again and lick my lips, thinking about it. "i want to be close to the one i love, obviously..." i start, feeling Mako tense up a little at my words. a smile grows on my lips and i continue.

"i think we would have been studying at one of the universities around Republic City or maybe in Ba Sing Se. and after we graduate, we would see the world together and visit so many places in all the kingdoms and nations. and maybe you were still living close to your family after that... you know, we could be owning a nice restaurant or live on a farm after the traveling. just a peaceful, nice life with no conflicts or signs of wars."

Mako chuckles a little, "i'm not good with most people and tend to come off as annoyed or something. owning a restaurant would be bad for our imagine. but yeah, you know, maybe in another universe that would be our truth," he answers me, moving his hand off my back and leaning on the balcony as well, head also in his hands.

"maybe we could get married."

Mako chuckles again and turns his head towards me, "we could. how about you ask me again in a few years when this is all over? we need to capture Zaheer first."

i nod to his words and smile, yawning a little. "that sounds like a great plan... i need to show the world how great of an Avatar i can be and bring balance into the world. after that, we can relax and start our own, peaceful life."

Mako smiles and moves back to his standing form, so i do the same. he takes my hand in his and motions towards the door. i nod at his actions so he takes me back inside, closing the door to the balcony and guiding me towards the bed we share.

"our future will be bright, sweetie," Mako mumbles as we're both laying in bed. he starts playing with my hair. i close my eyes an enjoy the feeling.

he sighs and i feel him smile against my head, "you're an amazing Avatar and i'm so proud of you. you know you don't have to do it alone because i'm always right by your side and so are our friends. Bolin, Korra and Asami are here for you too and we'll always be by your side."

a huge smile forms on my lips and i hold Mako's free hand in mine, sighing happily. "thank you. i can't wait to spend my life with you by my side once we don't have conflicts and wars. but you know, the fighting is fun too sometimes... especially when i kick your ass at fire bending."

he starts to laugh. "of course you do," he says, then turning his head. i do the same so that we're looking at each other. "one day i'll be better than you."

"keep on dreaming, lover boy."

he smirks and turns around, cupping my cheeks with his hands. "you love this lover boy, though."

i chuckle at his words and nod, placing a soft kiss on his lips. "yes, i love this lover boy a whole lot. i will continue doing that 'till the day we can start another life. then, when that starts, i will love you even more because i have more space for doing that and don't have the fear of losing you..."

"you'll never lose me," he mumbles against my lips, moving his nose against mine. "never, y/n."

i smile and hold him close, holding onto that feeling of being free and not having to worry about anything. 'cause when tomorrow starts, i need to be the Avatar and bring back balance into the world...