Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Gabriella

Faces.  Arms swaying from one side to the other, raising brisk waves across the dim lighted room.  That's all I can see from where I'm standing right now.  How did I let Chase and Sophie convince me to enter to this competition?  I dance professionally, but it's my first time being part of any kind of a club contest.     

It only took three strawberitas with a decent amount of tequila, to loosen up enough to accept a bet from Sophie and Chase.  Sophie was ecstatic with the opportunity of me beating the "self-centered brat who swears the world spins on her tight ass-xis."  AKA, Ivy. I'd rather dance than let her take care of Ivy the way she's been dying for in a long time, which only will lead to be kicked out of the club. 

Seeing Ivy again brings back one of the most painful memories I have.  I look at her, and all I see is Nick.  I slowly shake my head and close my eyes tightly, as if I could erase the pain and brush off the memories.  Memories that still hurt. That sweet melting smile with those heart-stopping blue eyes came with a high tab to pay.

Nick ...  A human being is a mystery.  You never get to know someone completely, but I could have sworn those blue eyes were sincere.  I was wrong about him. How can someone feel so connected to someone else in only a few hours? I don't know and it doesn't really matter. The sparks of magic were extinguished as soon as they loomed.

Ivy ... I have the opportunity to knock out her big fat ego.

She's not winning.  Not this time.

I keep watching the ocean of swaying arms holding up their cell phones with their lights on. The cheerful crowd is singing, dancing and waiting for us to take the center stage.

*-*-*-*-*

Loud house music is wandering through the dusky place.    Everyone is already walking toward the stage waiting eagerly for the main attraction of the night, as the playful MC called it. The atmosphere in this place is electric!  My adrenaline is rising with anticipation.

The ten contestants from the final round gather around the MC to receive our final instructions.  All of us will be dancing to the chorus of Shakira's "Hips Don't Lie."  The one who makes the crowd go crazier with the loudest applause and wildest reaction wins.  There has to be a winner.  No ties.   

We start strolling to the stage when an annoyingly familiar voice calls my name.  Ivy.

"Look who's here. Long time no see, Gabby."

Airhead Bimbo strikes again with all her venom. She really brings the worst in me. 

Any confrontation between us will take place on the dance floor.   Her evil stare stabs mine, but the hell if I let her see how she affects me.

"Ivy.  What an unpleasant surprise."  My smug grin returns her sarcastic greeting while I look at her puzzled. "Um ... Did you know this is belly dancing, not a strip dance competition, right? You don't have to do a lap-dance to the MC or brush your new boobs against him.  Now, if you'll excuse me. Good luck in the competition. You're going to need it." 

Between her venom and the alcohol  I can't hold my tongue anymore.  I've had enough of her.

Ivy's face is growing red.  She's furious.  Not in a million years she expected me answering her this way.  If I'm honest, neither did I. But I haven't forgotten the way she humiliated me. I don't think I'll be able to forgive her either.

"I'd love to keep talking about my fabulous plastic surgeon, and even recommend him to you!  But honestly, it's irrelevant to talk about someone you'll never be able to afford, Gabby.  I still remember how Sophie had to buy food for you so you wouldn't starve, you poor thing. I couldn't help to feel anything but pity for you.