Shimmy - Chapter Ten

Nick 

"Donna, what's going on with Ms. Stewart? Why isn't she in my office yet?" After my conversation with Christopher Russell, the god of the Hospitality industry himself, I'm outraged. It's true that I didn't have to start from nothing like he did, but that doesn't mean that he has the right to diminish all my hard work when I've been giving it all to maintain this hotel brand at the top in this industry. I'm starting to wonder if being so close is going to work for us. My father and I are like oil and vinegar. We both can be very temperamental and, although we both care for the family business, if that phone call this morning set the tone of how our business relationship will be from now on, I rather leave and let him run this hotel by himself.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Russell. She hasn't arrived yet. I'll get in contact with Mrs. Thomas and let her know that you need her at your office immediately."

"Please, do so, Donna. I also need you to schedule a meeting STAT with the Front Desk Manager and the Director of Operations. Tell them that I'm expecting them both in my office within one hour. Sharp. If they have another meeting on schedule, they need to cancel it. Understood?"

"Yes, sir. I'll do that right away. Anything else I can do for you, Mr. Russell?"

"No, Donna. Thank you."

I decided to not call the Front Desk Supervisor until after I speak to the manager and Director of Operations. The Front Desk Supervisor may be part of this fraud scheme, and if he is, I don't want him to be on alert just yet.

Fifteen minutes later, I'm on a call with my replacement in New York while Donna lets me know that Ms. Stewart has finally arrived. After the negotiations with the union workers last week I want to make sure that everything is running smoothly, so I ask Donna to tell Ms. Stewart to come into the office, but to not interrupt me until I'm done with my phone call. The office has an incredible view to the ocean. It's easy to get lost with the waves dancing back and forth, somehow comforting and soothing my mood. I hear the door open, but I'm in deep conversation, giving important directions to Ben, the new GM for the Manhattan hotel in New York.

When our conversation is over, I notice a sepulchral silence in the office. This woman has created so much tension between my father and me that I take my time to turn back and look at her. Memories of his assistant and him five years ago in this office beset my mind. He used to talk about his assistant with the same admiration that he speaks of the lady behind me. Why is he so amazed with this woman? How can I trust that he is telling the truth this time? How to believe he has nothing to do with her selection into the MDP?

I greet her without even looking at her. She probably thinks I'm an asshole, but truthfully I don't care. I can't put my mind at ease.

Will she look like Theresa, my father's mistress? Theresa. The woman who destroyed my family ...

"Ms. Stewart, you're finally here. I take it that you were informed that Danny doesn't work for us anymore. I'm Nick Russell, Christopher Russell's son. I was the GM in Manhattan, New York for the last five years, but I was asked to train you. I'll fill you with all the details of our current situation soon, but first we need to prepare for a meeting in less than forty-five minutes. Needless to say that all that I'll be sharing with you is confidential and requires your absolute discretion.