Shimmy - Chapter 1

Chapter One

Present 

Gabriella

"Good morning, Ms. Stewart.  How are you doing today?"  I really wasn't expecting this phone call so early in the morning.  Just pondering the idea of today being the most important day of my life gives me the chills.  Anticipation is flipping my stomach with amazing Olympic routines that make Gabby Douglas look like a rookie.  Oh my God, I'm turning into a drama queen like Sophie!

Mrs. Brooks, the HR Director, will finally reveal if I got accepted to the Manager Development Program (MDP) at The Russell Grand International Resorts.  To make the MDP has been my ultimate goal since I started working at the most prestigious hotel chain in the world three years ago.  As soon as the South Beach hotel opened, I turned in my application.  Two weeks later, I was selected as part of the hotel staff.  The rest is history.

The five stars/five diamonds stunning resort is located in the touristic South Beach area in Miami. The property has 1,000 rooms in forty five floors.  Two floors of meeting space, rooftop pool overlooking the beach, private beach access, an amazing gym, spa, salon, boutiques, bars and restaurants among other amenities.  You name it, The Russell Grand has it. Simple.  As.  That.

My friendship with Chase helped me get a position as a Front Desk Clerk.  Being friends with one of the heirs of the hotel's owner certainly has its privileges.  For everyone else, Chase is Christopher Russell's youngest son, the opulent mogul of this highly profitable hotel chain.  But to me, he's more than that.  Chase is a dear friend. A total sweetheart who always looks for what's best for me.  He's like the brother I wished for all my life; the good guy that always lends a helping hand when needed.

Even though I would love to think of Chase as Mr. Russell's only son, he's not.  He has an oldest brother I'd rather not think about.  An older brother that had affected me in ways no one's ever had.  I haven't seen him in five years, and I hope the status quo stays the same, and I don't have to see him again.  Ever.

I remind myself every time that I can't let my mind drift to the past. It's useless and definitely not worth it.  I need to focus on the things that had brought happiness to me.  All I have achieved through the past five years, and that includes my current position. Chase did help me get here in the first place, but being one of the Front Desk Supervisors was a rewarding outcome of my passion, commitment and dedication to it.  I don't only love what I do, but I'm the best at what I do.

"I'm doing wonderful Mrs. Brooks, thank you.  How can I assist you today?"  Sweet Mother of Jesus!  My stomach is tied up in knots as flashbacks drag me from this moment.  Suddenly, a short film starts running, showing all the bittersweet moments I had to face to get where I stand today.  The tears, the laughs, the hard work.  Every single time I fell, and every single time I rose afterward. 

My attitude toward life changed as I learned to steer my attention to the positive side of every curb life threw at me.   You know what they say, 'if life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.'  But it's more than that.  Anyone can do that.  The real trick is to not be afraid to do what others aren't willing to do, and make something memorable and unique.  This is me at my best; mixing the right ingredients to deliver my award winning recipe.   

I've given my heart and soul to make the MDP.  My job makes me forget about the emptiness in my heart.  Love from fairy tales with happy endings it's not for me. The part of my heart that longed to live a sweet, mad, passionate love has been silenced. Locked down deep inside where I can't hear its deceiving whispers. I don't want to get hurt. My happiness comes from the unconditional love of my friends and from fulfilling my academic and professional achievements. It's enough. I work hard to make sure it's enough.