Shimmy - Chapter Eleven

Gabby

"Ms. Stewart, Mrs. Thomas is letting me know that Mr. Russell needs you in his office immediately. So, I'll leave to him to explain to you in more detail the latest events that propelled last minute and significant changes in our administration. These changes will affect you directly, thus he'll be very specific letting you know what is expected from you in this new era of our hotel."

Looking into Mrs. Brooks' eyes, I see specks of uncertainty blended with concern but also brimming with encouragement. I have to admit that all that has been said is sparking my curiosity. Whatever happened was critical and it's having an impact at all levels. A reassuring smile surfaces on her worried expression. Her soft spoken voice carries me back from my bewilderment.

"Challenging times are ahead, darling ... It won't be an easy year for you. However, I'm convinced that you have, the potential to overcome all the challenges related to this position. I wish I had more time to explain and prepare you before your meeting, but I don't. And I don't think it's a good idea to keep Mr. Russell waiting.

"I wish you all the best in your training. Expectations are high, but I'm convinced that you have what it takes to become a successful GM. Nothing gives me more joy than to see determined and committed women strive and show everyone that they have the talent, skills and tenacity to make it. Good luck, Gabriella."

I'm overwhelmed and inspired by this woman who I've always admired, and who's never spoken to me this way before.

"Thank you for your kind words, Mrs. Brooks. I can't say how much I appreciate your trust and faith in me." I won't let you down.

Mrs. Brooks stands up and shakes my hands; kind eyes and a warm smile enhancing her lovely but distressed features. She escorts me on my way out of her office and gives me an envelope containing some documents that Mr. Russell requested from her.

As I leave her office, my mind starts to wander with the news about Mr. Stevens. I'm stunned. Daniel Stevens fired... I have to admit, that wasn't the kind of news I was expecting on my first day of training. That probably was what Mrs. Thomas wanted to tell me last Friday and she couldn't. He never seemed to be the best fit for that position, but getting fired? What on earth could he have done to get fired?

Mrs. Brooks tone during the meeting was somber at times, hopeful in others. All my questions will find answers soon once I meet with Mr. Russell. Somehow, to face this disastrous situation on my first day of training is the best that could've happen to me. It'll keep my mind away from useless reveries. It will help to not think about how Nick can still make me feel. Or how can I still feel the devastating pleasure of Nick's lips exploring my mouth, my skin ... My body keeps punishing me; reminding me how excruciatingly pleasant his body felt against mine. His touch was a bliss alluring all my senses. His desire was as evident as mine.

Damn him.

How easily I lose my head over him? It's ridiculous and infuriating. He's probably gone by now, so it's time to leave it all in the past. It's time to focus on the now, and what awaits me this year will definitely be an epic challenge. My body still tingles from memories about my encounter with Nick last Saturday, but it's time to focus on my job and move on.

Fortunately, the idea of working directly with Mr. Russell is truly exciting. The Walking Encyclopedia himself! Mr. Russell is a gentleman and he's always treated me with respect. He knows about my friendship with Chase, but he had never given me any special treatment. That fact alone earned him my absolute respect.