Compliance

Beep...Beep...Beep...Beep...

"What the hell is that incessant noise? Also, why is it so fucking hot?" You thought to yourself keeping your eyes squeezed shut. If this was death then this was uncomfortable and you highly regretted your decision to allow yourself to go over the edge.

You tried moving your hands but you couldn't. They were being held down by something also uncomfortable.

"Ah, y/n. You're awake, yes?"

Why is that voice so familiar and annoyingly so?

You slowly opened your eyes only to immediately snap them shut. Why the hell was it so bright in here.

You opened your eyes again and blinked trying to adjust to the sudden light. Your head was killing you as well as the heavy feeling in your chest.

Once you were able to focus your eyesight, they were immediately met with the face that belonged to that annoyingly familiar voice. That stupid young quack that was in charge of keeping you sedated and was always so enthusiastic.

"Can you tell me how you feel?"

It took you a moment to register your surroundings. The panic settling in causing that beeping noise to pick up. That you now realized was a heart monitor. The reason your hands couldn't move was that they were bound to the bed. Your stomach churned when Rumlow came and stood beside the quack.

You tried to use your magic but you just couldn't. Your body felt too weak. Head pounding, lungs burning and body sore.

"Fantastic. Really. Never better." You croaked bitterly as you tried to lift your head only to drop back down against the pillow.

"Always the jokester." The quack chuckled as he wrote on his stupid little clipboard.

"Now now. We saved your ass, no need to be sassy, sweetheart."

"Oh, shove off Rumlow." There goes that cocky smirk that he seemed to always save specifically to piss you off with.

"I mean if it was up to me I wouldn't have bothered." he reached out and ran a hand on your leg on top of the blanket. "But we already lost one asset. Can't lose a second. Besides your witch shit is useful. Now that I think about it you'll be even more of an asset than that asshole. He's too used up and broken at this point."

You looked at him confused. He chuckled darkly and squeezed your leg as he continued.

"Oh, yeah. The asset is gone. Left your ass behind."

You couldn't help the stab you felt in your chest at that but you wouldn't let him know.

"What? Why would I care? Good for him." You looked away from Rumlow and stared up at the ceiling keeping your face free from any kind of emotion or reaction. Inside you was a whole other story.

"I know you care. Your Relationship wasn't exactly that much of a secret. Don't think we didn't know you two were fucking every chance you got. We let it slide because it made him more...compliant." His tone was bitter as he spoke and the way he squeezed your leg harder you knew would leave behind a bruise. But you didn't even so much as wince. You were long ways away from the girl who drew back at a little rubbing alcohol to a wound.

You let out a humorless laugh. "Careful Rumlow. You're sounding a little jealous there."

"Maybe I am. But that doesn't matter now anyway. He's gone and you're taking his place. Winter's Shadow. Or Winter's Whore. Whichever you prefer."

"Because you think I would do what you want?" You raised a brow and shook your head. "Yeah, no thanks pal."

"It doesn't matter if you don't want to. You won't have a choice, sweetheart." He stated matter of fact.