Struggle

TW: Violence, Mental Health Struggle

Today you had awoken rather early. The sun wasn't even up yet but no matter how long you laid in bed you just couldn't fall back asleep. It was just one of those nights. So you slipped out of the quilts and tiptoed your way down to the kitchen. As you stepped out of the elevator you thought you could hear shuffling in the kitchen. You didn't think anyone else would be up quite yet. Even though most of the avengers were early risers they still wouldn't be up for another hour or two.

"You're up early." You whispered as you realized the shuffling was coming from Bucky who was currently pouring himself a bowl of cereal while waiting for the coffee to finish brewing.

"Could say the same about you," he replied through a bite of cereal as he pulled out two mugs.

You leaned against the counter, propped your elbow on the surface, and rested your chin in your palm as you watched him make your cup just the way you liked it. You smiled as he handed it over trying to ignore the feeling you got when your fingers touched his. You brought the cup to your lips and blew at it before taking a long slow sip letting the hot liquid warm you up from the inside out. The aroma now reminding you of the little local coffee shop Wanda introduced you to just a few days prior. You turned around and hopped up on the counter and swung your legs as you contemplated what you would do today

He slid over his bowl of cereal and placed an extra spoon in it.

Said 'bowl' was more of a large mixing bowl now that you looked at it in the dim lighting of the kitchen now that the sun was starting to come up and shine a light orange glow through the windows.

"Thanks," You mused as you leaned to the side and took a bite of what turned out to be cinnamon toast crunch.

He stood beside you and the both of you carried on drinking your coffee and munching on the shared mixing bowl of cereal in complete silence.

Once you both finished the coffee and cereal he took the bowl and cups and rinsed them before loading them into the dishwasher.

He dried his hands off on a paper towel and crumpled it and tossed it into the trashcan.

When he returned he slowly stood in front of you and studied the way you were hunched over with your hands in your lap twiddling your thumbs. Cautiously he placed his flesh hand on top of yours stopping the movements.

You looked up into his face and gave him a small smile. When you didn't push his hand away he got closer before ultimately wiggling his way into standing between your legs and his hands found their way to your sides.

"Why are you really awake?" He asked softly tilting his head to the side and his eyes roaming your face.

"Just couldn't sleep, I guess." You shrugged as you hesitantly placed your hands on his shoulder before deciding to move them to the nape of his neck.