3 - amanda

New, Edited Chapter - Oct '22

I'd recognize her voice anywhere. She still sounds the same and I close my eyes tight, remembering everything about her. Stars dance around in my eyes, and I am forced to open them, staring at the dark blue of our front door.

"Hope, darling!" I hear footsteps come up the driveway and I turn around sheepishly.

It's Amanda Anderson. I haven't seen her in so long but her face looks the same, her high cheekbones and soft dimples are still as present as they were ten years ago. Her hair is a little longer than I remember, blonde waves are now at a mid-length. She looks better, happier and healthier.

Before leaving Virginia for California, she divorced her vile husband, Simon. He was an abusive asshole who crossed all boundaries. Amanda always said he became this way after joining the police, but frankly we all saw that he was never as nice a guy as he pretended to be. My mom was so glad her best friend finally decided to leave him.

"Amanda!" I shout, and I can't help but smile as she opens her arms and pulls me into a hug.

You know how sometimes they say that you don't miss something until you experience it again? Her warm arms around me feel that way, like a comfort that I was missing all this time. For a while all I can think about is how I'm so happy she's back.

"You seem surprised, didn't your mom tell you? We've moved back in."

My heart drops for a second and I can only manage to shake my head lightly. They've moved back next door. As in, one doorbell away. Is Noah taking back his old room? I look behind her and see the vans driving away and as she notices my confused face, Amanda laughs.

"Noah and I are still getting unpacked. Amelia is in college, so she doesn't have to worry about all this." She shakes her head.

"It's so nice to see you." I finally breathe out.

Her blonde hair frames her face and I think about how much Noah looks like his mother. Of course he has the harsh jaw of his father but his eyes and dimples are entirely Amanda's. I feel my eyes well with tears for a second and she hugs me again.

"I've really missed you sweetheart. How have you been?"

Her voice is brimmed with sympathy and perhaps a twinge of guilt as she rubs a hand on my back soothingly. I only manage a nod into her shoulder, and she pulls away, staring at me.

"You've grown so much, and you're so pretty."

I smile, her compliment means so much to me.

"Did you like the dress I brought for you when I visited?"

"I love it." I respond immediately, and I know that I genuinely mean it, even if it is stuffed in the bottom draw at the back of my closet.

"Come to dinner tonight, all of you." She looks up at the house, "I've missed you dearly, especially your mom. I'll make your favorite casserole." She beams at me and I feel guilt at the sick feeling that has returned to my stomach.

"Really, thank you – but I think dad's cooking today." I let out a slight laugh, and she smiles at me sweetly.

"I remember when you kids spent all your time eating chicken nuggets in my kitchen, having contests over who could eat how many and next you'd be arguing over the last one." She sighs. "you'd always give Noah the last one."

I smile politely at the memory, looking away awkwardly because I don't know what to say. I guess people grow up and chicken nugget contests just aren't as important anymore.

"The offer always stands. Have you spoken to Noah yet?" She says and I try to think of an excuse.

I don't know how much she knows. I always figured he'd never told her about our last fight. Maybe she thought we'd just drifted, as friends sometimes do with long distance. She has no idea that we don't even have each other on Instagram anymore, both accounts private.