14 - texts and fights

As soon as Noah disappears, Tyler pulls away and stares at me intently for a moment. I laugh and ask him if he's okay, eyes still trained on the doorway through which Noah just left.

"I should leave."

I flit my attention back to my boyfriend, trying to read his expression. Despite his comforting words, he still seems annoyed at today's events, and I have a tinge of guilt inside me that keeps growing for the way I pushed him away. So, I ask him to stay, and we settle down to watch a movie in my bedroom. Mom's still asleep downstairs and while knowing that she probably won't be up until morning I still make a point to keep the volume down on the T.V in my room.

"Should we watch a Halloween classic?" I ask him, pointedly staring at the selection in front of us. My favorite season comes with the best films.

"I don't mind. You choose." He's staring absentmindedly at the darkening sky outside of the window.

"Well, what's your favorite?" I pry.

Tyler shrugs, and the dismissive nature of his action makes my stomach churn. I look to him in surprise, my hand fingers curling to wrap around his arm as I tug lightly.

"I like Hocus Pocus. Can we watch that one?"

He doesn't even look at me when he replies, making my cheeks burn red in embarrassment.

"Sure."

Fine. Be moody.

Minutes into the film, I catch a light coming from his side and realize that my boyfriend is texting on his phone instead of watching. I pause the film and watch him intently for a minute until he looks up at me in inquisition.

"Are you having your annual Halloween party this year?"

"What?"

"I thought I'd ask you about something you care about, since you obviously don't give a damn about this movie."

His eyes grow sheepish and he tucks his phone away into his pocket.

"It's not that. You know I love Halloween. And yes, the party's on Halloween night."

"So.. what's bothering you?"

He gives me a pointed look, and then turns away again.

I push him to speak, asking again.

Sighing, "You care about him. I know. I get it, but-"

I interrupt, confused as he keeps talking.

"It's Noah. Ever since he's come back you're suddenly-"

"No I-"

"Can I finish?" He snaps at me.

His tone makes goose bumps raise up and down the length of my arms. Is this our first fight? I've never had a disagreement with Tyler, ever. But then again, our dynamic has never been anything like this.

I fall back into the cushions on my bed.

"Go on." I mutter, trying to mask the sullen undertone of my voice.

"You obviously care about Anderson more than you want to let on. And he obviously cares about you. So why not just stop fucking everyone else over in your process?"

He sighs again, and a prickle of irritation runs up my spine.

"I get that he was helping you through.. something. But why was he in your room to start with? Why is he here?"

I wish I knew.

My only response is the truth, and that is one of uncertainty.

"Ty I'm sorry. I don't know what he was doing there. He lives next door and he was driving mom home after the chemo-"