11 - hospitals

Happy Halloween <3

What are your plans for this spooky day? As promised, here is the second chapter for today, edited during a re-watch of Hocus Pocus. 

Hope you enjoy <3

The school day drags on, but in the middle of fifth period I get taken out of class after a freshman walks in with a note and interrupts our science class. Mrs McAndrews isn't subtle with the look of pity that she gives me, but I ignore her and gather my things as quickly as I can, trying to awkwardly avoid the gaze of anyone in class. I meet Aaliyah's eyeline and she puts her hand up as if to ask a question.

"So sorry professor but do you mind if I use the loo?" She throws in the British term to acknowledge Mrs McAndrews' accent and our Biology teacher laughs and waves her away, not even blinking twice.

"What's up?" She asks me once we're in the corridor and I shake my head.

"How does she never second guess you?" I laugh, knowing it doesn't meet my eyes.

"McAndrews? Puh-lease, she adores me. Who else responds to her when she calls on the class." Aaliyah flips her hijab back jokingly. "Did you see Kara's face? She was infuriated." She grins but her eyebrows furrow when her eye catches the note in my hand.

"Is it your mom?" She asks gently.

"Mhhm." I nod, gulping back the lump in my throat. "My dad must want me to wait at the clinic with her while she gets the chemo. He's working." I smile assuredly at the end.

I don't know why my eyes still brim every time this happens. It's a common occurrence - the teachers expect me to be pulled out of class, the hospital staff know me so well there's a spare chair for me, my friends know why I disappear but I just can't get used to it. Every single time it just feels like the first. Every single time it feels like the news might be the worst.

"Anything I can do to help? Cami and I can come with you, it's not like we'd miss anything important at school."

I shake my head, "I don't think there is much you can do. Send me the notes?" I ask sheepishly and Aaliyah whacks me on my arm and I yelp.

"Ow! What was that for?"

"You don't have to ask for notes," She shakes her head at me scoldingly, "Just tell me and of course I'd give you notes any day." She proceeds to let out a breath and looks at me, "Right, I'm driving you, let's go get Cami out of class, I think she's in Art."

"We'll never get away with that." I shake my head.

***

A few hours later myself, Cami and Aaliyah are sitting in the waiting room of the cancer clinic and watching some reality show they've aired on the tiny TV attached to the dull, gray wall.

Aaliyah walked back into Chemistry earlier and worked her charm on Mrs McAndrews and then confidently walked down to Art and asked Mr Rogers if he could dismiss Cami because tragedy had befallen her at home. I'm not sure he really fell for it as Camila laughed her way out of class but that was an issue for another time.

Aaliyah is talking quietly to an old lady sat nearby us, in hushed tones she's trying to comfort the woman, talking to her about endless sweet things. The woman looks at her in adoration. Seeing them both sat here with me, one doing her homework and the other entertaining an old lady makes my heart melt. I really do have the two best friends a girl could ask for.

"I'm gonna go get us some food." Aaliyah grins at us and turns to the old woman, "care for a sandwich ? or would you like some pasta, Cora?"

Making a list of things to grab from the store on the bottom floor of the hospital, Aaliyah whizzes away to grab us lunch, just as my stomach rumbles. Cora watches me and Cami for a moment and then lays back on the chair and closes her eyes for a moment. Cancer is draining.