18 - mess

But first, an author's note -

Okayyy, so my little book has gained some new readers this weekend, and I've never been more thrilled to hop on wattpad and get editing. I hope you're all doing well <3 I know it seems trivial, but I appreciate every single one of your votes, and even moreso your sweet comments and musings. Please keep them coming, they really do make my day.

P.S. Do you guys want Noah P.O.V chapters? Because your wish is my command, I gotchu, just let me know.

Also also also, my instagram is mxdnight.png, if anyone would like to give me a follow on there.

That's all, enjoy the Noah and Hope content. I love you all <3

I don't remember anything from last night. Faded clouds of memories from the party are floating around inside my mind and I have a headache, the searing headache that numbs the entirety of my skull.

My door creaks open with the kind of hesitation that makes me look up in wonder, eyes squinting as the light from the hallway fills them.

"Dad?" I mumble. "Morning."

He stands there in the frame of the door, arms crossed as he waits for me to get up and realize. When I'm awake enough to see my own hand, he sits down in the dip of my bed and clears his throat.

"Noah brought you home last night." My dad has a disapproving look on his face, and I brace myself for the lecture I'm about to receive. "Now I know that I can't stop young people from drinking, hell, your mom and I did our fair share back in the day. But I need you to be safer Hope. This kind of behavior isn't good for you and it causes your mom and I stress-"

Something in me snaps and all I can see is the red of my own anger.

"Really, dad? I cause you stress? What about me, what about the fact that I have to miss classes, the fact that I barely have a minute to think for myself, I spend so much time stressed out! I take one night to try and let go of all this and suddenly I'm causing you stress? Just give me a break!"

Tears of resentment fill my eyes but I blink them away quickly.

Looking at the expression on my father's face makes me regret every word that just splurged out of my mouth, but it's too late to take them back. He sighs, staring down at the ground, deep in thought.

"I didn't mean that, I'm so sorry-"

"Hope, it's fine-"

"No, no it's not. It's just it's all so much dad." I proclaim quietly. "I worry about her every waking second of the day and the night. I guess I thought being drunk-" My eyes flit to his to gauge a reaction, but they're listening with care rather than judgement. "I guess I thought being drunk would help me relax a little. But if anything, it just made me dumb."

My dad pulls me into a sudden hug and I stay there for what feels like an hour. His arms bring me comfort, and I find that for the first time in a while, I don't need to hold it all inside.

"I'm worried too Hope. We all are. But sometimes you can't do anything other than let things happen and hope for the best."

"I know dad, I know. It just.. hurts."

He pulls away from me, running a gentle hand over my head.

"You know why we named you Hope?" He murmurs.

My interest piques and I shake my head.

"Your mom and I struggled for years to have a baby. There were chances, but we'd miscarry and the cycle wouldn't end. Eventually the doctor's said that it was too much for your mom – the physical toll of it all. And then-"