8 - kisses

New and Edited Ch 8 - Oct '22

P.S. Happy Midnights Release Day to my fellow Swifties, what's your favourite song on the album?

I swivel my head around and immediately scowl at the sight of Dane Ellis ambling over to me, his wide and tall build blocks any kind of a view, and he stops merely inches away. I can smell the stench of alcohol and cigarettes on him, making me reel backwards.

"Thanks." I shift away uncomfortably.

Dane is on the school soccer team and sleeps around a lot. He's the definition of a stereotypical jock, using his popularity as an excuse to be a pervert. He's well-built, I'll give him that, and his jawline could cut through ice, but the personality tramples over any of his physicality and renders him, in my eyes, vile.

"Wanna go find an empty room?" His breath is hot on my ear and the alcoholic pungency of his body makes me ill.

"Just get away." I say, shoving him with a hand.

He puts his hands up in the air and takes a step back. "Maybe later baby."

My eyes lock on someone else behind him and I breathe a sigh of relief as he walks over to help, calling my name.

"Come with me." Tyler rests a hand on my wrist and gently pulls me away from Dane and his predating glare. We round a corner and end up at the side of Noah's house, away from the others and the claustrophobia inducing environment.

"He's such an asshole when he's drunk." He remarks, and the hint of aggravation in his voice surprises me.

"I think he's an asshole, period." I stop to look at him, "Thanks for saving me."

Tyler's eyes light up a little and he shakes his head kindly.

"Not all the jocks are assholes you know."

"You're not an asshole." My words slur a little. "I need some water."

He beams at me and I can't help but gaze in drunken adoration as he walks me towards the kitchen, a warm hand on the small of my back.

I lean against the counter and pull myself up onto the marble-top carelessly. It's like muscle memory, a force of habit. In Noah's home, I could be watching Amanda make her blueberry oatmeal on a morning, or chatting with Amelia about girl things, or almost kissing-

"Here."

I take the tall glass from Tyler and pull it to my lips, taking a few gulps of water. Almost immediately I feel myself cooling down. The back of my right hand runs across my lips, smudging the gloss in the process.

"Shit." I mutter, trying to wipe around my lips.

"You're so cute." He says, his eyes locked on mine.

"What?"

He doesn't say anything, but Tyler takes a step until he's so close to me I could probably hear his heartbeat if not for the music. He brings his thumb to the corner of my mouth and swipes it against the stain, fixing it.

"There we go." He smiles at me and I smile back stupidly.

"I've never liked anyone the way I like you."

Even in my slight inebriation, his words pummel through to the walls of my heart and linger, making my breaths shallow and my mind fizzle.

"Tyler." I whisper eventually, letting the muscle in my chest thud against the bone incessantly. I might be a little tipsy, I'm not so sure anymore because my mind is racing again.

"Hope." He smiles at me, his teeth so straight and white as his eyes twinkle in the dark.

"Tyler I.." My head spins, thoughts swirling around, flying past my consciousness.