24 - amelia

share my book to 4 people or your 2023 will be cursed

xoxo

p.s. thanks for 30k readers, ily with my whole heart <3

Chapter 24

While I'm surprisingly not heartbroken over Tyler's confession of cheating, the breakup leaves a bad taste in my mouth for the rest of the week. If I hadn't been so rude to my only two friends left, I'd immediately call them, but right now I'm alone.

The week break for Thanksgiving couldn't have come at a better time.

Mom and I decided to spend the day together, doing various errand-like tasks, and re-decorating the house for the winter season. The tasks seem menial but re-decorating with mom was always my favorite thing to do, and to see her with the energy now brings me more joy than I can explain.

"How's Tyler?" She asks me suddenly, in the midst of painting a door. "You should invite the boy over for Than-"

"We broke up." Is my short response, but with a quick look at the thoughtful expression on mom's face, I hastily add "It's fine. I'm okay with it."

My mom has never been the kind of woman I could talk to about boys, not because she wouldn't understand, but she's so a matter of fact and to-the-point, that I never felt as though she'd recognize the extent to my anxieties.

I remember even before her cancer diagnosis, I'd struggle with excessive worrying and bouts of panic – she'd never truly comfort, only offering a solution. I could only ever truly be calmed by Noah, I only told Cami and Aaliyah about the anxiety when he went away.

They got worse then, and I couldn't say why.

"Oh darling." Mom rubs a hand over my arm in comfort.

"Really, it's okay." I smile.

My mom seems deep in thought for a few minutes, as I continue threading a garland in silence. I jolt as she speaks again.

"Amanda asked me to invite you along to the cabin, they leave tomorrow to clean it up before Christmas." She pauses, thinks hard for a minute. "I think it'd be lovely if we spent Christmas there again." She's searching my face for any hint of emotion, but all I can do is gape at her in surprise.

Christmas is weeks away, and frankly the possibility of us spending Christmas with the Andersons hadn't even crossed my mind.

She continues, insisting that I join them. I tell her that I'd rather swim in a sea of piranha fish than subject myself to that, and she shakes her head at me, laughing. I'm glad the subject is over.

Seeing her so animated brings a smile to my face, the doctors say the chemo sessions have actually started to reduce the cancer in her body, and she seems much more energetic in this second half of the year than she was post-diagnosis. That being said, it only really means that she's able to walk without taking breaks and she can talk for longer without falling asleep.

"But progress is progress." My dad insists happily.

*

I don't see Noah again until the day before Thanksgiving, when he and Amanda return from their trip to the cabin. The pair are bundled up in bobbly hats and warm wooly scarves cut out for the season – I wonder if his grandma knitted them, she always made the best. My heart clenches a little as he turns, thinking that maybe he'll look at me, see my misery through the misted windows, but the movement halts midway and I'm left waiting.

That stupid kiss. Even weeks later it lingers on my mind, infesting every corner until I feel the urge to scream. His lips on mine, the hand on the small of my back, leaning into the warmth... it makes my head spin.