Chapter 13

Today has been a long day. Breakfast was oatmeal. I absolutely hate oatmeal. Then I sparred with Kai until I was absolutely exhausted. I'm on my way to element training now. Suddenly, Kai lands out of nowhere, making me just about jump out of my skin. After punching him playfully I say, "Don't do that! I almost blasted you out of the sky!"
"Oh calm down. You wouldn't have done much damage. I would just air wield to the ground," he says.
"I'm sure you would, if you weren't on fire," I say. We walk on to training.
"Class, I have important information for you. Tomorrow, we attack the elves. Your training will continue like normal but in a tent. They expect us to be weak and few in number. We will be strong, huge in number, and plus, we'll have some tricks up our sleeve. They do not expect us to wield. They do not know we can. They will not be prepared. We will crush them and show them that humans are not things to be trifled with. We will win. We will have the two most defensive elements on the front lines. The most offensive will be behind waiting to strike. More detailed plans will be gone over tomorrow. Training will continue as normal now. Go on," she says.
"Kai, what do you think about tomorrow?" I ask.
"I can't wait to kick some pointed ear butt!" he shouts.
"Yea. I'm just really nervous," I say.
"Just singe their eyebrows. That'll teach them," he jokes. I get to my station to see Marissa waiting as usual.
"Freezing water is to time consuming. I'm going to teach you to create ice directly. Then I will teach you to use your weapon with your wielding. Let's get started," she says.
"Okay. How do I do that?" I ask.
"Remember how it felt yesterday when you froze the water, replicate that. I want you to make it out of thin air," she says.
"Easier said than done," I say. I try but I can get much more than a few shavings of ice.
"Keep at it, you're progressing faster than most." I do. Soon enough, I manage it. I get the hang of it and start aiming at the target but my aim needs improvement. I finally land one in the middle. I shoot again and again. Before long, it's time for Caleb to teach me fire. I can't wait to start practicing with fire.
"You've increased your level in fire much quicker than anyone else so I expect more. Now, I want you to create a living creature from fire. I will demonstrate and you try to do the same once I am done," he says. How can I create a living thing from fire? Is that possible? Before I can continue, he starts to move. He spins and wields purple fire around himself, then leaps and shoots it into the ground. A few seconds later, a fiery deer emerges from the ground. It looks at me with curious eyes. I stare at it, amazed. It takes a few steps and nibbles on the grass, eating it. He waves his hand and the deer vanishes.
"Now you try. Focus on your favorite animal," he says.
"How did you wield purple fire?" I ask.
"Like I said, I've spent thousands of years studying fire. Now go on." I try but all I end up with is a burnt patch of grass, much less an animal. He continues instructing me and I discover that there's another side to the fire energy inside me. A living and hungry side. I focus on that. I slam blue flames against the ground. Then, a beautiful blue tiger made of fire comes out of the ground.
"If I touch it, will it burn me?" I ask.
"No, but it doesn't know you so be careful. If you want to keep it, allow it to get to know you. Soon, if it stays in this realm long enough, it will become a real tiger, not just one of fire," he says.
"What? This realm?" I ask.
"Yes, you didn't really create it, you just gave it energy shape. You summoned the actual being from another realm. Take care of it, and it will become your best friend and your protector," he says. Just then, a beautiful stag appears and he jumps onto it.
"Come on, Viviana, let's get out of here." I turn to see what everyone else has learned. A wind wielder is riding on a giant bird made of what seems to be compressed air, an earth wielder on a magnificent horse, and Kai on a bird as well, but this bird has a gorgeous long tail with a gold stripe down the side. I walk over to him.
"Kai! What are you doing up there?" I shout.
"Flying on a thunderbird. See?" he asks.
"Yea, I see. I have a tiger," I say. My tiger walks up behind me. I'm shocked to find it's already real and no longer made of fire. It's a beautiful snowy white.
"Cool, what'd you name it?" he asks.
"I don't know, I haven't thought about it. How about you?" I ask.
"Flapper," he says.
"Flapper?," I say in between bursts of laughter, "You named it Flapper?" I ask.
"What's wrong with that?" he asks.
"Oh nothing. It just sounds so, stupid. What should I name mine, Scratcher? How about you name your thunderbird Avery?" I ask.
"I like it. You should ask yours what to name him. I asked mine but he just said to come up with it."
"They can talk?" I ask.
"Yea, you didn't know that?" he says.
"No, mine hasn't said a word. I'll ask him. Tiger, what's your name?" I ask.
"I speak once and only once without permission. Do I have your permission to speak freely? it asks.
"Yes, but why do you need my permission?" I ask.
"You're my master, I seek your permission. My name is Lily and I'm a tigress not a tiger. Thank you, but I must sleep now, if I have your permission, Master Phoenix," she says.
"Of course, don't call me Master, just Phoenix. You don't have to ask my permission to do everything," I say.
"Yes mas-, Phoenix," she says. She walks off and curls up behind our cabin.
"We should probably go and get some rest too, we have an enormous day ahead," I say.