Chapter 2

Back at home, I help my mom finish making dinner. The taste of roasted lamb is well welcomed by my empty stomach.

"Phoenix, I'm so sorry about your dad yesterday."

"It's not your fault. It's his. He abandoned us, he messed up, he is the one missing out," I say furiously.

"I know but a grown man should know not to leave a seventeen year old boy and a fourteen year old boy without a father figure, and I should've seen it coming. Stone, you've barely touched your lamb."
"I know mom, I'm just-"

Just then, he was interrupted by several loud knocks at the door. "One minute!" shouted my mom. A second later she opened the door just as the Grandmaster walked in, uninvited. "Grandmaster Ryan, what brings you here so abruptly?"

"Bad news I'm afraid. Word from," mom interrupted.

"Boys, go upstairs to your rooms. I will call you down when I'm ready for you."

"Yes ma'am," we said in unison. I head up to my room but before going to my room, I wait just on the other side of the door to listen in.

"... we received a letter from a mysterious man who scouts say had pointed ears and angled features. Some say he looked nonhuman. He really enjoyed the feeling of looking down his nose at us as if we were below him. The letter said that the people of Evrus have declared war on Coroma. To make matters worse, we do not know where Evrus is, so we will not know where they're coming from, we don't know where to look in order to attack, nor do we know what we're up against. So you have quite the task, General Ruby."

"So you're telling me that an elf showed up declaring war on us out of nowhere?" she says.

"Yes."