Chapter 1

A crisp breeze ruffles my auburn hair. I stare at the pristine lake that I so often use to clear my head. I pick up a smooth stone and throw it as hard as I can across the lake. It skips seven times before finally sinking.

"Hey," comes a familiar voice from behind. I turn to see the dark headed girl I call one of my best friends.

"Hey. Why did you come all the way out here?" I ask.

"I'm worried about you, Phoenix."

"Marissa, I'm fine."

"The way you stormed out shows otherwise."

"Ok. I am angry. Upset. My dad decides to just up and leave. It's not like you have to worry about that. Your dad is one of the highest ranking officials in Alstrein. Leaving his wife and child would destroy his career, so he couldn't leave if he wanted."

"So. You still have your mom and Stone. Plus, I'm still here, right?" she asks.

"Yea. It could be worse." I get up off the ground and hug her tall slender frame. "Thanks."

"Your welcome." She picks up a stone and flings it into the water. It skips eight times before falling into the lake.
"Hey, now I have to beat that." I again pick up a smooth stone and proceed to throw it into the water.
"Darn!" I continue to do so, until the the sun disappears behind the glistening lake.