Chapter 5

We walk for what seems like an eternity. Soon enough, we see the large beautifully spiraling building that is the palace. The fact that such wealth can exist in any one place makes me wonder how anyone is poor. We're not exactly rich but we're not poor either. "Are you ready Stone?"
"As ready as I'm going to be."
"Well let's go then."
Resuming our journey, we walk through the main gates to the palace after explaining our reasons and the purpose for our weapons to the guards. We get to the the barracks and talk to the commander about enlisting.
"You're too young to join the army. You have to be eighteen to join."
"Hey, are you really going to keep someone out of the army because of two months? I'm pretty sure you need all the men you can get." I say.
"You're right. Go ahead." I sign my name on the sheet right before Stone does. Phoenix Winters. My name has always been ironic to me. Phoenix, a bird of fire, and Winters, the coldest season. I've wondered why my parents named me this way. I continue into the castle with Stone and we meet with a group of people from our village.
"Phoenix! Stone! I was wondering when you two would show up," says Alex, a spoiled rich kid who believes that noses were made to look down at others. He loves making sure others know that he's richer than them and enjoys rubbing their nose in it.
"Alex, I was wondering when you would go away," says Stone."
"Hey, watch it. Don't forget, you're talking to a noble. Unlike you, I don't live under a rock," he says while snickering to his buddies.
"See what I did there?" he asks, referring to Stone.
"Hey, you might want to watch it. I just might hit you with a rock," I say. "See what I did there?" I ask. His face turning red, he draws his sword. I pull my glaive from my back and hold it across my body. Just as he moves toward me, Stone starts to draw his sword. I shake my head. He gets the hint. Alex makes the first move. He jabs at my midsection as I knock his blade aside with the pole end of my glaive. As his arm bounces back, I seize the opportunity to kick his ribs and whip the pole end into his neck. He spins and lands a blow on my leg. It immediately begins to bleed. Enraged at the fact that he would deliberately draw blood, I slam the end into the side of his head. Jarred, he stumbles before making a clumsy attempt at the already open wound. I simply jump over his sword and slam my blade into his. His sword shatters into about ten different pieces. I bring the blade inches from his neck. "Submit," I say. He raises his hands in submission. "You need a new sword too," I spit.
"That was awesome Phoenix. I get him next time."
I tear part of my shirt off and make a tourniquet around the wound on my leg.
"Phoenix, watch out!" shouts Stone. Just as I turn around, a hand is already catching the fist meant for my head. "Thanks," I say to the guy who caught Alex's fist.
"No problem. I'm Kai. I take it you're Phoenix?"
"Yes. This is Stone, my brother," I say. Then, a tall, muscular man gets up in front of the crowd.
"Listen up! You're all here to enlist the army, right?" he asks. No response. "I said, you're all here to sign up for the army, right?" he repeats. This time, an audible yes is shouted. "Thank you. I am Commander Jett. You will address me as sir or commander. I will assign you to your rooms and you will sleep until four thirty in the morning and training will commence at five o'clock sharp. You will have thirty minutes to eat and get to the training hall. If you're late, you will not eat nor will you be allowed any social time. Am I clear?"
"Yes sir," shouts the entire crowd.
"I will now assign rooms. In cabin one, Summers, Phoenix Winters, Rizolli, and Harrison. Room two, Stone Winters, Rogers," he continues on down the list until everyone knows where they're to go. I give Stone an it will be ok look. He nods. I walk with my group to the cabin and try to figure out who's who. I recognize Kai and even Alex, but that's it. Once we get inside the cabin, I take the closest bed and lay my stuff down on it. Kai occupies the next and Alex takes the liberty of making sure he gets a bed close enough to me to bother me.
"So, Winters, I'm so glad we get to room together," shoots Alex.
"Are you? Or are you glad you get to try and pester me?" I say.
"I don't know. I guess we'll find out." He throws a rock he must've brought in from outside at me. I catch it seconds from my face.
"Look, I'm not in the mood for your idiocy. Either get back in the hole you slithered out of or get serious. Which is it?" I say.
"I don't know. Are you going to make me?" he asks.
"I don't know, do I need to?"
The commander walks in. "Lights out."
He flips the switch and I lay down after putting my stuff under the bed. Minutes later, I'm asleep.