Chapter 1 Firefly

It's the next day. I woke up and went straight to the bathroom. The boarding house is relatively large. It has four rooms. But of course, only two are filled.

After I took a bath, I put on the school uniform. It's basically the same as the female uniform. But with pants instead of skirts. I greeted Toby and we went to the main building where the classes are.

Me and Toby are in the same class. Which is a good thing since it was rather hard to make friends with female students. To be honest it feels awkward when walking in the corridor since I usually get glances. Well, I am one of the only two male students here after all.

It's self study time. Darjeeling called me to the senshado club room. I knocked on the door and opened it. It's the noble sisters.

"Good morning Y/N" Orange Pekoe greeted.

"Morning" I replied.

I then approach the table where Darjeeling and Assam is sitting. Orange pekoe then proceeded to pour me a cup of tea.

"So why did you gather us here?" Asked Assam.

"I have a surprise. Come follow."

I quickly sipped my tea and followed her from behind. I walked close to Assam and Orange Pekoe.

"Hey Y/N, you don't happen to know where we're going right?" asked Assam.

"Um, no. Why?"

"There was some incident involving jellied eel."

"Huh?"

"Ah, it's nothing." Says Pekoe cutting Assam.

We have reached our destination. It's the hangar. I can see a new tank. It's the Sherman Firefly!

"Whoa, you managed to get it." Says Pekoe.

"Ah, the Firefly." Say Assam.

"Yes, and Y/N here is going to command it." Says Darjeeling

"Eh?" Says Assam and Pekoe

"The senshado federation will be starting to incorporate male students into the next winter continuous track cup. So I thought we might as well make Y/N a commander."

"Me?"

"Yes, you did say you want to right?"

"Yes, but I didn't know it's gonna be the firefly! The British modification of the 75mm Sherman to be able to have the QF 76mm 17 Pounder which has stronger penetration power than the German 75mm on Panther and the Tiger I's 88mm gun ! It became highly valued in Normandy as the gun could almost always penetrate Tiger I and Panthers. Ahh it's my favorite tank of WW2!"

A specific meme video of the Firefly's development automatically plays inside my head.

Darjeeling giggles. "Let's try shooting the gun shall we?"

Assam and Orange Pekoe climb inside the turret while me and Darjeeling observe. BOOM a blinding bright flash can be seen.

"Ah, what a gun."

"Y/N, do you have an idea on who will be your crewman?

"My friend Toby says he's interested in senshado. I think he might be good at shooting. But that's all I got."

"Ah, the other male student. Yes then. I will assign the driver and the loader role to the reserves."

It's the next day. Toby and my assigned crew were training with Assam and Pekoe to handle the tank. Which left me with Darjeeling. We talked about strategies, the thing that I thought was boring, turned out to be quite interesting. Maybe it's because Darjeeling. But anyway,

"Ara, it's getting late. Y/N would like to accompany me for dinner?"

"Ah, sure."

She's asking me to have dinner with her? That's the first... Is this a date?

She took her coat and her bag. I took my bag and started walking with her. I was right by her side.

"Hey Y/N, what do you make of me?"

"Eh?"

"Since you're one of the new students here, I'd like to know."

"Ahh, I guess you're chivalrous? Also you have an intimidating presence. But you're pretty cute-"

What am I saying? I said that without realizing.

"Ah, okay."

My face feels hot as I tried to avoid eye contact. I glanced at her. Did I just see her blush?

We then arrived at the restaurant. It's a fish and chips place. The place has a nice atmosphere and we ended up talking about random stuff such as quotes and philosophical things (it was just shower thoughts) and about ourselves.

Somehow it feels off character for her to do so, but it feels nice to talk to her about other things beside senshado. After we finished, we went back together to the dormitory. We then arrived at the dorm. It was dark outside, and there was no one.

"Thanks for accompanying me Y/N."

"My pleasure."

"Hey Y/N"

She came closer. I didn't have my guard on and she suddenly kissed me on the cheek.

"Good night."

"Ahh-"

She turned around and she quickly walked inside her dorm. What the hell was that!? Ba-dumb ba-dump My heart is beating fast. I took a deep breath and quickly went inside my room.

I couldn't sleep.