Chapter 2 Practice Match

Today is practice match day. I'm commanding the Firefly and 4 Matildas. The opponent is Darjeeling. She uses her Churchill and 4 Crusaders.

My plan is to lure the opponent tanks with the Matildas and snipe the opponent with my Firefly. Although the Churchill has a front armour of 140MM, the QF 17 Pounder can penetrate 150MM of armour from 1.000 meters. The problem here is the Crusaders. If Rosehip decided to take off the limiter again which she probably will, she will be able to move 64 km/h and can flank us easily. Which is why I need to find and shoot the flag tank first.

The match has started. I ordered the matildas to stay right outside of the town while I sneak in through the treeline just outside of it. Heading to a vantage point.

As expected, I can see the crusaders. They are closing in. If I fire the gun now, I might get spotted.

One of the Crusaders is flanking, I report it straight away. But the Crusaders are fast. A Matilda shot and missed. The crusaders returned fire and disabled the Matilda. And then another Matilda fired and disabled the crusader. A trade.

I turned my attention away to search for the flag tank, while hearing the reports. The Matildas are overwhelmed. When I directed my attention back, I could see 4 Matildas and 3 Crusaders. I couldn't spot the last one. I quickly scan the area.

To my surprise there's a crusader right to our left

To my surprise there's a crusader right to our left. I'm not sure if I have been spotted.

"Driver, turn to the left! Toby, take your aim. Stop! Fire!"

BOOM! Dusts and smoke flew up to the air, blocking the gunner's vision.

"Did I hit?"

Ting-pop

"Yes! Nice one!"

With that muzzle flash, I'm certain they already spotted me. Suddenly I can see the Churchill. One of the drawbacks of having this gun is the reload time and the smokes.

"Reload!"

"Ready!"

"Aim! Fire!"

BOOM-BOOM we shot at the same time.

BANG the round missed Churchill.

A millisecond later. BANG the Churchill managed to hit us.

Ting-pop. We lost.

"Ahh, good job Toby! Good job everyone!"

I climb out of the hatch to observe the battlefield. Suddenly I feel dizzy...

When I opened my eyes, I was lying in bed. It's probably the infirmary. I look to my right. It's Darjeeling. She's having tea (as most of the time I saw her). My heart is beating fast. All I could think was the time when she kissed me. My face feels hot again.

 My face feels hot again

"Hmm?"

"Ah, you're awake."

"What happened?"

"You suddenly passed out after the match was finished. Toby carried you here."

It's probably because I couldn't sleep last night. But I can't tell her that.

"Where's Toby?"

"I told him to go back to class."

She told him to go back to class so he doesn't miss the test? That's kind of her.

"Could you be having a fever, your face is red."

"Ah it's nothing."

She touched my forehead. My face is burning up.

"Your face is hot."

"Ahhh"

"Y/N, take a break if you want to. Don't force yourself." While having a worried face.

"Yeah.."

"Hey, that was a good match. You almost got me." She smiles.

"I'll get you next time." As I smile.

"Go get some rest. I'll wake you when school's over."

"Okay"

How can I calmly rest when she's right next to me? I opened my eyes 30 seconds later out of a feeling of being watched. She's staring at me while smiling.

"What??"

"You look cute while sleeping." She giggled.

What? Is this a revenge for yesterday? Does she substitute Toby just to stare at me? Creepy...

"I think I'm good to go now. I'm already feeling better."

"Okay."

I got back to my class and finished the day. I then head back to the boarding house with Toby.

"Hey Y/N, are you alright?"

"I told you already, I'm completely fine."

"Your face is red."

"What?"

Was that actually a fever and not me blushing? After I got home I checked my temperature. Yep, it's 38°C. It's a fever.

Although tomorrow is Saturday, there's still club activities. I told Toby to report about my situation.