Chapter 8.5

"Don't bother"

"Don't bother"

Time had passed and it was already night. The spirits had calmed down and Ella was now sitting in her previous seat instead of the one in the cockpit. She had a glass of expensive wine in her hand, trying to enjoy the pleasure it brought on her tongue while the open bottle was waiting to fill her millionth-or-so glass on the table.

She had calmed down since the previous episode and was now trying to relax her tense muscles instead, by drinking her favorite wine, it always worked. Neither Charles nor Erik tried to talk to her from before, too embarrassed and guilty to do so. What she'd said seemed to have shut them up and made them try to find the right words to apologize.

Ella too felt somewhat guilty for resorting to yelling and crying, she didn't like showing this side of hers. She always kept it hidden and put on a smile instead, trying her best to hide it from the cruel world, knowing too well that if she didn't someone would exploit her feelings and make her do things she despised.

It wasn't that she was afraid of someone, no, far from it. Ella knew she had a powerful mutation, that much was obvious, no. She was afraid of herself. Afraid of doing something unforgivable, afraid of hurting the ones she loves.

Her power was never stable, requiring too much energy to keep it in control. Since she was a child, she constantly had to restrain her emotions. Too strong feelings could change an object into something different, so Ella had to be constantly focused on her surroundings. Her bond with Charles sometimes made it easier as he could feel her emotions and know when to help out but she didn't want to be a bother to her brother, having him always babysitting her.

Growing up was hard, as her powers grew along with her but so did her resilience. Then again, she couldn't completely control it but she could at least restrain it, so she did.

And that was when Erik came to the picture.

Showing her that she shouldn't fear it but accept it, seeing it as a part of herself instead of a mistake. He made her see it from another perspective, the other side of the coin, the better part.

Ella saw, for the first time in all those years of her existence, that maybe, just maybe she could use it to help instead of destroying. Instead of having it suppressed and suffering along the way, she could set it free and embrace it because that was a part of herself.

But then he left.

Just as suddenly and unexpectedly as he came just as suddenly and unexpectedly, he left. Well, maybe it wasn't as unexpected for her. She knew that nothing good lasts forever.

She scoffed.

Of course, it doesn't. This world is just too cruel for good.

She was snapped out of her thoughts as Erik sat in the seat in front of her, a glass of scotch in his hand, eyes downcast never looking at her.

"What do you want Erik?" she asked knowing that it would take him too long to muster the courage to start this conversation.

"I just-"

"Wanted to apologize?" she cut him off.

"Well, yes"

"Don't bother" Ella told him and looked out of the window "You've nothing to apologize for"

"But-"

"Look" the redhead cut him off once more, now looking at him, the empty glass on the table "I don't have the right to change your beliefs, even if I don't remotely like them"

"Okay, I agree," Erik said, his glass on the table too, a serious look in his eyes as he finally looked at her "But then again, I left, and I know that you're going to say that you didn't choose to follow but I didn't make it easy either!"

The Xavier girl sighed, a small chuckle leaving her lips as she closed her eyes and rested her head on her seat "Okay, I agree, but I don't want you to apologize. I don't like it when people do that, it's awkward"

"Alright," he too closed his eyes and rested his back on the comfortable seat, "I noticed that you don't drink tea anymore, why is that? I thought you loved it"

"When did you remember that," Ella said, eyes still closed but a small smile formed on her face.

"Oh, I remember everything"

"Alright then," the redhead said and looked at him, a playful glimpse in her eyes as she adjusted in her seat, now leaning forward "What type was my favorite"

Erik too leaned forward, a small smirk making its way on his face as he accepted the challenge "Come on, that's easy"

"Oh yeah? What is it then?"

"It's black tea of course," he smiled at her expression as she rolled her eyes muttering a small 'why do I even bother "More precisely Assam black tea from India. But now, answer my question"

"I-I don't know," Ella said a little embarrassed, her gaze now turned downwards "It just happened"

The metal bender hummed in response, silence overtaking the small plane. The others had gone to sleep not too long ago but Ella had stayed, not feeling tired. Erik had seen her sitting alone and thought that this was his chance to talk to her after everything that happened.

Seeing that the conversation wasn't going any further, the Xavier girl sat up "Well I think I'm going to sleep now, don't want to be tired tomorrow"

"Yeah, of course"

Well, this is awkward.

A/N: Hello guys, sorry for the long wait, I just couldn't find time to write with my classes and everything.

also, this is small so I didn't want to make it a full chapter and thought to make this like a small special or something as there isn't something important for the plot but I wanted to add this because we see a small interaction between Erik and Ella.

hope you had a nice day and don't forget to vote and comment!