|1| Delayed Flight

O i k a w a 

     My flight is delayed. I was hoping to be in New York by tomorrow, but I guess I'll be later than I thought. It's currently 1 AM on a Monday, and I'm supposed to be at an interview on Wednesday at 8 AM. What an ungodly hour that is to be out and about. 

     Life here in Utah has been difficult. I mean, don't get me wrong, the majority of people are nice, and it's beautiful here. But I just need something to keep me up on my feet throughout the day. Here, I just worked as a bartender, and that job didn't really keep a roof over my head very well. Let alone, to keep food on the table.

     An old high school friend of mine works at a business called Aoba Johsai Inc. Makki, the friend, says that it's well paying, and that it's somewhat fun to work there. Oh how much I hope he's right. I don't want to sit in an office organizing files and all that boring stuff.

     Although, that's most likely what I'll be starting as; an assistant to one of the co-workers of something. As long as I don't have to stand in one spot and do something boring as hell for hours on end, I'll be fine. 

     I sigh while slouching in the very uncomfortable seats located in the waiting area for boarding. I'm so tired, my head is beginning to hurt like hell. Lazily, I grab my phone from my rolling duffle bag and Dial Makki's number.

     Ring.

     Ring.

     Ring.

     "Hello...?"

     "Oh, sorry Makki. Did I wake you?"

     "Yes, but my alarm was supposed to go off in five minutes."

     "Ah hell, but it's only 1 AM?"

     "You're so stupid Tooru.. Judging by how you're calling me when you should be on your flight here, you either missed the plane, or it's late."

     "It's been delayed 5 minutes. And mind elaborating on how I'm, quote on quote, stupid?"

     "I gather that you're still in Utah, which means, I'm still two hours ahead of you. I'm supposed to be at work at 7, and I like getting there early so I can snatch all the coffee from Mattsun." 

     "Makki, how do you handle waking up at such an ungodly hour? I seriously don't understand."

     "Well for one, work starts early in the morning. Second, you get used to it when your sleeping schedule isn't fucked up like yours is. Third, technically I'm a morning person."

     "Fuck you."

     "Yea yea, anyway.. Mattsun and I got your place decorated yesterday."

     "Oh thanks- wait, what? How'd you even get in there? I'm pretty damn sure no one is stupid enough to let some rando have the keys to an apartment that's vacant at the moment."

     "Pfft. I fought the manager for the keys."

     "I'm sorry- you what?"

     "Why do I keep having to repeat myself with you?" 

     "Because, according to you, I'm stupid."

     "Whatever Tooru. I just told them that I was the new owner's friend, and showed them proof, so they let me have them. Your favorite colors are white, black, and teal blue, right?"

     "Oh wow, I'm surprised you remembered."

     "Shut your trap. We just decorated it a bit with the colors." 

     "Well thank you-" 

     My eyes peer up towards the ceiling as my flight number is finally called. Finally, Jesus, that took longer than needed. 

     "Hey, Makki, my flight arrived. I'll text you when I'm in New York."

     "Alright- OH! and when you get hired by Mr. Iwaizumi, I'm pretty damn sure that you're gonna like working there. He's a hottie." 

     "I- alright, gotta go. Talk to you later."

     I hang up before he has the chance to respond and grab my stuff, walking over to where I'm supposed to be boarding. After stepping onto the plane, my nerves seem to relax at the welcoming blue LED lights, and light blue seats. I love how they add blue; such a calming and relaxing color. 

     Once my stuff is set in the overhead compartment, I sit down in my assigned seat next to the window. My gaze staring at the blinking lights on the wings. This is relaxing. Finally, once I get to NYC, I can actually calm down for a bit. 

     If what Makki said was true, then I should enjoy my time at both, the apartment, and Aoba Johsai Inc. This is going to be interesting.

-----

     The morning sun peeks over the horizon as we approach our destination. Fog also hovering over the streets and around buildings. Gosh, it's pretty right now. We're already descending to JFK airport, the buildings eventually turning into smaller ones.

     After about 8 minutes, we're on the ground and everyone starts to grab their things from the overhead compartment. I pull on the handle in my duffle bag and roll it outside as I take a much needed deep breath. Hmm, where's the pick-up and drop-off. 

     I gaze upwards while walking slowly and follow the signs that lead me to the pick-up area. Shit, I forgot that there's cabs all over the place. Eh, Makki lended me some money, it'll be fine. I hope.

     With an exaggerated sigh, I grab one's attention and the man let's me put my stuff in the trunk. 

     "To **** on *******." I state with a calm and collected tone while buckling up.

     "That's a little ways away. You good to be driving all that way?" The man asks, looking up into the rear view mirror as he slowly pulls into the traffic.

     "Yes, yes I am. If I fall asleep, just wake me up when we get there."

     "Mhm."

     First time that I'll be able to close my eyes properly. During the flight, it was like my eyes were glued open. It was weird and incredibly uncomfy. 

-----

A/N: Welcome to my IwaOi fanfic! I hope for those of you who read this, do enjoy the story. Just a little disclaimer, there might be a couple spicy scenes. I see business type of stories, spicy with a little bit of scandal. This is an au, MY own alternate universe, and my own plot points and ideas. As far as I know, there aren't any business related IwaOi au's. Any who, go check out my SakuAtsu fanfic called Paranoia! It is completed. Also, mild to moderate use of curse words. 

Comment

&

Vote

Word Count: 1072