Chapter 11

[Name] once knew someone who shone as brightly as ten suns. He would use the warmth of his sunshine to tickle her skin, trying to make her laugh.

He was fascinated by her, and she was fascinated by him. Everyday they would frolic in their utopia without a care in the world.

"[Name]-chan! Come play!" he would call, and [Name] would descend from her tower of experiments and heed his call.

"[Name]-chan! Come look at this poem I wrote for you!" he would call, and [Name] would rush out, eager to listen.

However, HouYi was called upon by fate, and the sunshine vanished. Shot down all at once, all too soon. There was only one sun left, and it was hiding behind a thick cloud, hiding from view.

"[Name]-chan?" someone called. [Name] opened her eyes. The air around her was warm, like it was summer. Everything was bathed in the golden light of sunshine, so potent that it looked as if everything was gold.

"[Name]-chan?" the person called again. She turned and gasped, not expecting to see who she saw.

She let out a breathy whisper of his name. The boy smiled. Suddenly she was a little girl again, playing around in a park in their utopia.

He put a hand on her cheek. "[Name]-chan, why are you so sad?" [Name] grasped that hand on her cheek. She closed her eyes, leaning into his touch

"How did you know?" she asked.

The boy gave a melancholy smile. "You've always had the saddest eyes." His smile then turned genuine. "But don't worry. What is grief, if not love persevering?" This made [Name] burst into tears.

"Oh, I miss you so much," she sobbed. "You've always had a way with words."

"[Name]-chan?" the boy suddenly asked, sounding pained. [Name] opened her eyes. Instead of the happy boy from before, his body looked broken and was covered in his own blood. He suddenly choked on blood rising from his throat.

The surroundings suddenly turned smokey black. There were fumes of fire rising from around them. Huge masses of bodies were rushing past them, away from something. She heard screaming, not sure if it was hers or someone else's. It was filling her rapidly until that was the only thing she could hear. Her vision was swallowed by darkness

She woke up with a gasp, sitting up in her bed. The screams were still ringing in her ears and her heart was racing like she had just run a marathon.

She pressed a hand to her mouth and tried not to make a sound as she broke down into her pillow.

•••

[Name] was quite relieved when it was announced the next day that the location of their summer camp wouldn't be revealed until the day they leave. That seemed like the best course of action.

"You," said Bakugo, addressing Midoriya. "You finally grew a pair, huh? I knew you had it in you." There was a miniscule smile on his face. Midoriya seemed stunned that Bakugo actually smiled at him. Midoriya blushed, not used to praise from Bakugo.

And just like that, their first semester at UA was over. [Name] could only hope that the rest of the year would be somewhat normal, even though that wouldn't be possible.

•••

The bus ride to the camp was full of laughter and excitement for training camp, as expected. What wasn't expected was the surprise abandonment in the middle of a forest.