Chapter 1: Noor

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

Life was never simple for Jahanara.

The loud music boomed across the marriage hall accommodating at least dozens of their relatives which were strangers. The ground shook with the thuds of moving feet. Their hands mingled shamelessly swaying hips with the beat and money bills showering like there was no tomorrow.

They hung out not caring about the basic rules of Islam. Jahanara may not be the most practising being on this earth but she knew better. Not mixing with opposite gender's. Here there are no basic human rights and if we start preaching religion.

That's a whole different story.

Her Grey eyes that had a bluish hue of sunlight scowled back. Those eyes roamed lustfully over her body compelling her to feel naked despite being covered but that wasn't enough to ignore the burning sensation around her waist.

"Amir beta come join us," Her so-called foster father wailed, pulling him roughly. A deep sigh left her lips while she glanced at her phone screen.

'Just a few minutes till the nikkah takes place' she thought. The grip on her clutch tightened when her foster mother and her daughter took hold of her dragging her down the stage.

But that was just the outset of her freedom.

They passed a few rooms before entering her room pushing the door and dropping her on the stool.

"Make sure she looks beautiful. We don't want her ugly face to scare the poor boy away and worst cancel the wedding," Replenished with disgust her mother ranted.
Jahanara rolled her eyes.

"Go Ammi," stated Mahnoor waving her hand dismissing the beautician telling her to come in after five minutes. Mahnoor's face broke into a small smile kneeling beside her elder sister.

"Are you okay?" She asked and rested her hands on her giving a squeeze. Jahanara exhaled and nodded with a tender look that was only reserved for her pagli.

"You got this, don't forget me," her honey brown eyes glazed with unspoken tears making Jahanara's heart clench at the thought of leaving her here. Mahnoor sniffed, standing up and grabbing her into a hug.

Their last hug.

"Pagli don't cry," whispered Jahanara, stroking her jet black hair which cascaded till her waist. She remembered her first time holding noor in between her arms. Her doe eyes staring at her in curiosity while her little fingers wrapped around Jahanara. It did not matter that they weren't blood-related but it's the only good thing about her pathetic life.