Chapter 16: Memories

She removed the scarf letting it fall off her hands to the couch resting at one corner of the room

She removed the scarf letting it fall off her hands to the couch resting at one corner of the room. Her caramel coloured hair was pulled up in bun strands dangling on her side touching her cheek once in a while.

Jahanara felt something she never felt in these last few days and now took upon the courage to finally play with colours. She huffed walking out of the room dragging bags of it placing them against the wall. 

She heard the familiar cries making their way, halting her in between as she saw a struggling Raaya with tears and a puffy nose trying to wriggle out of Aisha's arms. She quickly put her arms out grabbing her princess as she snuggled closer to Jahan side sniffing while she rocked back and forth.

"What's upsetting my baby huh?" She sweetly whispered, wiping her tears that pricked her heart. No matter what she despised, tears in her eyes

Her eyes weren't made for her tears.

The instant quietness relief washed over Aisha as she walked away remembering the soup that was left for cooking. After that, she pulled Raaya making her sit in a small cot that she made knowingly the hours she spent here would vary. 

Raaya put her arms up. "No baby now you will play with toys and let mummy do some painting," She murmured. Raaya pouted but took the stuffed toys bought by Danish and the jiggling voice it produced excited her. 

Jahanara couldn't believe Raaya was going to turn a year older. It earned a breathtaking smile and how proud she was that despite not being so experienced with help of Sakeena's advice, Aisha and Danish it would have not been possible. 

"Baji(sister) Raaya's food," Aisha knocked on the door, passing the tray to Jahanara. "Thank you, Aisha, you can go rest now," She smiled at her. Placing the tray on the round table she picked Raaya strapping her small belts on a higher chair wrapping a bib around her neck.

The round cup had soft fruits like bananas, peace and mango diced as instructed by Jahanara after feeding Raaya who ate less and made more mess and refused to eat more which worried her but her doctor said that it would take time for kids to adjust to the new food. 

Humming as she slept in her arms with a kiss on her forehead she placed her in the cot securely with the small pillows standing up to see that so much time passed and now her hands were aching to do so. At first, she dropped the brushes feeling the throbbing pain in her hands.

'It had been almost ages, of course, this was going to happen,' she thought, sitting on the stool picking her sketchbook tossing through her attempts whenever she could spare some time. Her pencil stained her fingers as she finally stopped at the page she thought she mindlessly drew.