Chapter 4: Peace

"Baby, how can we just take her in?" Shehraz questioned, trying not to lose his temper

"Baby, how can we just take her in?" Shehraz questioned, trying not to lose his temper. Ruqia huffed in disbelief and stared outside the window, observing the patients and their families leaving, which made her smile. 

Her skin was bathed in the warm sunlight as she raised her hand and squeezed her eyes shut but she had to turn to look at Shehraz, even though she did not want to continue this conversation.

"Shehraz, you didn't expect me to just leave her here, right?" 

She never used his full name unless and until she was extremely troubled. Shehraz removed his hands from the steering wheel and pressed his temples, trying not to burst on her. 

Accepting some stranger suddenly and taking up their responsibility did not seem to work for him. For all he knew, she could be a serial killer. 

"You're overthinking this. I know her. It's not like she is a stranger. Just- let's go home and sort it out. I have already given Jahanara my word."Ruqia said stubbornly while twisting the hem of her shawl. Before he could utter something, Jahanara had reached their car, only glancing up once before she opened the door and took her seat. 

Their conversation was left midway. They all sat in silence, lost deep into their thoughts. The radio hummed in the background, while the sun blazed across the horizon sucking every shadow and soon, taking its leave, allowing the arrival of night. 

The capital of Pakistan and where Shehraz Ahmad had spent half of his teenage years before taking over his father's business in London. Islamabad, a city known for its high standard of living and extensive greenery.

 Shehraz took a turn finally entering DHA(Defense Housing Authority). Islamabad does not need much introduction, as it is known to have one of the best housing societies, often devoured by wealthy and first-class families. 

The gates to their house drifted apart as they entered into what they knew was home to them. Jahanara's eyes widened at the size of the mansion they lived in but quickly wiped her expression as the car halted. 

Shehraz was the first one to exit the car,  Jahanara right after him. She inhaled the cool, fresh air. A middle-aged guard greeted them while unloading the suitcase from the car trunk. Ruqia knocked on her window to grab Jahanara's attention. She turned and quickly realizing, opened the car door to help her out. 

"Thank you." Ruqia panted as if she had run a marathon. Jahanara took it upon herself to help Ruqia, not minding at all. That was the least she could do for them. They slowly walked the steps of the Ahmad Mansion and suddenly, the feeling of being a stranger seeped into Jahanaras heart and discomforted her once again.