♡︎23♡︎

My dad stared at me like I was speaking another language. I was convinced he had gotten over the initial shock of seeing me in makeup and a bedazzled shirt and had now moved on to trying to process what I was telling him. "Why didn't you mention you were driving to Tokyo before now? That's kind of a big deal, Y/N."

"I don't know. I didn't think you'd care. It's the UA game, Dad. Come on." I hoped Mina, who was still upstairs putting the finishing touches on her hair, couldn't hear us.

"Well, I do care." 

We each took a deep breath. My hands clenched into fists. He looked at me again and his face softened a little. He closed his eyes and when he opened them he said, "You look so much like her."

My heart stuttered in my chest. So that was what the initial shock was about. With makeup on, I looked more like my mom. It was the wrong time for this, but my whole body waited anxiously for him to say something else. He didn't. Instead, that familiar look of guilt filled his eyes. The one that said he wished someone else was in charge of me and this situation, and he felt bad about it. I hesitated, then said, "Is that why you're so nervous to let me go? Because I'll be driving a long distance in a car? We'll be safe."

His brows shot down. "No, Y/N. That's not why. This is nothing like that."

How was this nothing like that? My mom died in a car accident and now he was worried about me driving five hours and a half in a car. That's why we're leaving really early. I don't know why we couldn't take a train instead, that would've been way easier and way faster but I guess Awase just wanted to be in the car for a while. Little road trip I guess. It's also less crowded. It didn't seem so different to me. He glanced up the stairs like he, too, realized this was a bad time, with Mina steps away. He pinched the bridge of his nose and the guilt look turned into a sad look. Great, now I had him thinking about my mom. Stupid makeup.

"I'll call and check in with you every hour. You can even have a police car tail us if you want."

That suggestion made him smile a little, but he still said, "I just don't feel comfortable with it."

"Dad, you'll like Awase. He's really responsible and nice and. . ." I couldn't think of any other adjectives for Awase since I hardly knew him. I wasn't even sure if the first adjective described him. So, yeah, this wasn't my most brilliant idea ever. 

I heard the door open and shut behind me, and my dad looked over. 

"Hey, Mr. A," Katsuki said.

I tightened my ponytail and sighed because I'd suddenly realized after all this my dad wasn't going to let me go.

"Nice shirt, Y/N," Katsuki snickered, tugging on the back, probably taking in each gaudy fake jewel.

"Yeah, Mina made it."

"I hope you don't blind the pitcher with the bling coming off this thing, because I don't want any pitchers mad at me tonight."

"Wait." My dad pointed at Katsuki. "You're going?"

"Yes."

I could actually see the muscles in my dad's jaw relax. "Why didn't you say so, Y/N?"

Why didn't I say so? I should've known that would make a difference. "I don't know. So can we go?"

"Yes. Be careful and call me when you're heading home."

"Thanks." I turned around and mouthed Thank you to Katsuki as well. His eyes went wide. "What?" I asked, but then remembered how different I must've looked in a fitted V-neck jersey and more makeup than I normally wore. "Don't say a word. I know I look like a clown."