♡︎37♡︎

(guys!!! this is the last actual chapter! I was thinking I might do more after this one whether they're extras or I make more along with the storyline kind of. Let me know!!)

I held my breath and walked into Nemuri's Bazaar. I'd waited too long to come in, but I was here now. Nemuri looked up from where she stood behind the register. 

"I'm sorry." I didn't know what else to say. There was no good excuse for my lie. I took a few steps closer when she didn't respond. "I think my aura is blue today."

That got a small smile out of her. "I don't understand, Y/N."

"I don't either. I guess I just didn't want you feeling sorry for me. It's been so long since I'd met someone who didn't already know my mother was gone."

I didn't feel like Nemuri needed to know the specifics of my mom's death. That was something between my family and me. But she didn't deserve the lie I'd told her. Nobody did.

"Are people not allowed to feel sorry for your loss?" 

I shrugged. "I'm not good with feelings, apparently."

She approached me and I tensed up, waiting for her lecture or for her to tell me to leave or... something.

"She looked me up and down. "You can't work dressed like that, honey."

"I. . ." I glanced down at my basketball shorts. "I can still work here?"

She placed her hands on my arms in a soft touch, then met my eyes. "Y/N, I'm so sorry for your loss."

My eyes went hot. "Me too."

"If you ever need to talk, I'm here."

"Thank you."

"I got these new silky tops in the last shipment that would look fabulous on you. Do you want to add to your work wardrobe since you didn't bring any clothes?"

I nodded. "I need some jeans, too. . .or a skirt."

Her head snapped up to look at me and I laughed. I hadn't planned on working today, but I didn't want to quit. She retrieved the shirt and a pair of jeans and took them to the register. I followed her. Mina's display of makeup stood in a tall hutch next to me. On a whim. I grabbed some shiny lip gloss and plipped it on the counter.

Nemuri raised her eyebrows at me but didn't say a word as she rang it up with my clothes.

I paid and tucked the clothes against my chest. "We're having a barbeque at my house tomorrow evening. We do it every year before school starts."

"I don't have you on schedule for tomorrow."

"No. I was inviting you. Will you come?"

She smiled. "Yes. I'd love to come, my dear."

"Good." I headed to the back to change. 

Toward the end of my shift, Momo poked her head in from the back room. "Y/N! Come to the beach when you get off. Impromptu nonfire concert."

"Can't. I'm grounded."

She laughed. "Bummer. Next time, then."

"Yes. I'm having a party at my house tomorrow. Will you come?"

"Absolutely." She disappeared into the back. I smiled. It was amazing what happened when you let yourself be open to new things.

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆   。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

I loved our end-of-summer parties. Everyone was back in town from vacation, and people were excited to have one last event. They came in packs. There were at least fifty people in my backyard. Even more this year. I shut my curtains and turned back to face Mina.