Chapter 5

Evangeline

My head hurts. That was the first thing I noticed when I woke up. The next thing I noticed, was that I my hands were bound behind my back and I was sat on an uncomfortable chair, I swear I felt splinters poking against my butt. I tried to lift my head and open my eyes, but my head felt so heavy. I took a deep breath and managed to lift my head up straight and opened my eyes.

I was sat in the middle of a ridiculously small room. There were no windows at all and the walls were plain stone that had specks of red splattered across some of them, please let that be paint, I thought. There was a metal door right across from me with a small slit in the middle of it. The floor beneath me was wooden and there were small specks of red across that too, paint.

After I had finished admiring the disgusting cupboard I was trapped in, I quietly tried to wiggle my wrists out of the rope that was binding them. Obviously, the rope was extra tight, it felt like it was cutting into my wrists, so I gave up with that one. So, then I decided to try and wiggle my legs out of the rope that was binding my legs to the chair, that didn't work either because it was just as tight, if not more, as the rope on my wrists.

What had I even done to get myself here? I saved the baby, who in their right mind kidnaps the person who saves their baby? A thank you card would have been fine.

After I gave up trying to get myself out of the rope, I slumped against the chair and hung my head low. I started to think about Milo an-, oh my god Milo! How could I forget? What if he's hurt? How long have I been here? He'll be starving! Oh my God, Oh my God, I need to get out of here, I need to know he's okay.

I started to struggle against the ropes. "Hey! Let me out!" I shouted to no one in particular, I heard footsteps heading towards the door and then the slit was opened and someone peeked inside, before I could say anything it slid shut.

"HEY!" I yelled "I NEED TO GO, MY DOGS AT HOME ALONE" I probably sounded mad, but then again I had been kidnapped, and my dog was home alone.

"LET ME OUT" I screamed even louder.

Suddenly, the door swung open. My eyes widened as the scary man walked in. He looked livid, no surprise there. "Look I don't know why I'm here, I'll tell you anything you want to know, just please let me go" I pleaded with him, if there was one thing all of the books and Netflix shows had taught me, it's give them what they want and you might not die.

The livid man just walked over to me, kneeled down onto his knee and studied me for a minute. I'm confused. As if sensing this, he roughly grabbed my chin and looked into my eyes. "Why did you take my son?" He seemed so calm but you could almost smell the anger coming off of him. "I didn't, I found him" I replied nonchalantly.

There was a pause and then. SLAP. My head whipped to the side from the force and I felt tears well up in my eyes. Why did he slap me? I've done nothing at all.

"DO NOT LIE TO ME!" he screamed in my face. He was reminding me a lot of my ex, I was terrified. "I-I'm not, I f-found him i-in the woods, m-my dog led me to him" I stuttered out, I wasn't calm anymore I just wanted to curl up into a ball with Milo, but Milo wasn't here and I had to be brave.

He didn't say anything so I took a deep breath and tried to continue my story, "I-I took my dog for a walk and we were playing fetch, s-some man ran past me and he barged into my shoulder a-and I fell, Milo ran off in the direction the man came from a-and I chased him, th-that's were we found the baby" I got out in between breaths, I was breathing hard in panic, a panic attack was coming on, I closed my eyes trying to take deep breaths. When I opened them again, the man was looking at me emotionlessly.