Chapter 27

Evangeline

Six years earlier...

"Bye Mum!" I yell, rushing out of the door. Eager to get to school. As much as I pretend I hate it to Mum, break time and lunch time at school messing around in the dining hall is the best part of my day.

"Ugh, how are you so happy in the morning?" My best friend, Kim, asks.

As moody as she was in the morning, she felt the same way I did about school. Especially since we had been in the same class since nursery.

"How are you not? Because you decide to get out of bed ten minutes before you need to leave the house?"

"Sorry Evie, not all of us have a bed time at 7.30"

"That's not my bedtime!"

Just because Mum said I had to be home by half 7 didn't mean I had to go to bed then. Kim is just moody in the morning.

Bed time is 9 on school nights.

Kim rolled her eyes, pulling a can of energy drink out of the inside of her blazer pocket. Should've known she had one stuffed in there, you didn't even need a school bag with the size of the pockets on our blazers.

Mum says I'm not allowed an energy drink until I'm 16, although I have tried one of Kim's, and I don't think I want to try another.

"So anyway, I was going to ask if you wanted to ditch today but I knew the answer to that would be a no so we're going to Jake's after school, and before you say you're not allowed just don't tell your mum" Kim tells me, knowing fine well I told Mum everything because I couldn't keep a secret .

Seeing the look on my face she throws her hands in the air. "Please Evie! It's my birthday tomorrow, think of it as my present"

I shake my head . She grabs my hand, stopping me in my tracks.

"Pleeeaaase" she begs.

I stare her out a bit longer, not being able to resist her puppy dog eyes.

"Fine" I say, rolling my eyes.

She grabs me from behind, giving my the biggest hug ever. "Thank you Thank you Thank you".

"Why can't you go alone? Jake's your boyfriend and I don't like third wheeling" I leave out the fact I'm not supposed to hang with boys outside of school.

She shrugs. "His brother gives me the creeps, he always stares at me when we're in the same room"

"What does that have to do with me going?"

"Dunno, least there'll be two of us to beat him up if he gets funny"

We laugh, knowing that I've never fought anyone in my life.

School ended and we made our way to Jake's, I text mum telling her I was heading to Kim's to revise for our mock exams next week, feeling guilty. This is the first I'd ever lied to her.

Jake only lives about a ten minute walk from the school, he lives with his Dad and brother, Leon. Kim tells me that Leon has just qualified as a police officer, and that somehow makes him even creepier. I just shrug her off, he can't be that bad.

When we get to the house, Kim let's herself in, telling me she doesn't need to wait or knock as she's there all of the time.

"Jake!" She yells. The patter of footsteps on the stairs sound towards us, expecting to see a teenage like myself, I'm shocked to see an older looking man.