Chapter 8

Evangeline

I slowly twisted the doorknob with shaky hands. Fully opening the door, I limped my way into the massive bedroom. My body shook with nerves as I felt his eyes on me. I shut the door behind me, turning around with my gaze set to the floor. After a few moments of silence, I lifted my gaze from the floor, he was staring at me with a strange expression, the way he was looking at me made me want to run away and hide, preferably with Milo, however given my current state that wasn't possible at the moment. He was so intimidating, and I was usually so strong and brave, it was as though every single wall I had built knew they had no chance against him. He would torture me and lock me up and do whatever it is that he wanted to do to get whatever it is that he wanted to know from me.

And that is what terrifies me. I would never willingly do or tell him anything, he'd tie ropes around me so tight I ended up horrifically burnt and slap me so hard that side of my face was numb, and do whatever else it is that he wanted until I did.

A name being called snapped me out of my thoughts. "Mr Knight?" An unfamiliar voice called, I shifted my gaze to the doorway of the room to see a small, chubby man, who looked around sixty patiently standing there. "Yes?" Mr Knight questioned, more like demanded, harshly. He didn't take his eyes off of me.

"I don't mean to be rude Sir, but I should check the girl's wounds" the doctor said sternly.

I assumed that the girl was me, even though I'm literally right here. All Mr Knight did was stare at me for a few more seconds before suddenly snapping out of whatever weird trance he was in, his face hardening, looking emotionless once again.

"Yes, yes you're right" he mumbled, starting to make his way towards me.

Panicking, I tried to back away quickly, forgetting about my injured legs in my hysterics. An overwhelming amount of pain fired through my legs, making me cry out and fall backwards onto the floor, hitting my head hard on the wall on my way down, making me slightly dizzy.

Mr Knight suddenly came to a stop as he watched my failed attempt to get away from him. He studied me for a few seconds, his eyebrows drawing together in confusion. Realisation dawned on him as he realised that I was trying to get away from him, as if that wouldn't have been the first thing I'd do. He looked conflicted as he studied me, debating what to do.

Sighing, he ran a hand through his raven hair. "Would you like any help getting to the bed, Evangeline?" he asked.

"Nope" I forced through gritted teeth, I was surprised at how strong and stern I sounded when I said that.

I pushed my hands onto the floor, breathing heavily at the painful action. When I had pushed myself up high enough, I grabbed onto the bathroom door frame next to me to pull myself up further, managing to get myself onto my feet in under a minute. Progress.

I started to slowly and painfully limp towards the bed. Mr Knight slowly walked behind me, probably making sure I didn't try to get away.

When I finally got to the bed, I sat down, warily laying on my back.

I looked towards the doorway, the man still stood awkwardly there, looking quite unsure of himself. Following my gaze, Mr Knight's face hardened in annoyance.

"Doctor, are you going to check Miss Parker's wounds? Or should I fire you and find someone else?" he threatened, my eyes widening at the threat.

"Sorry Sir" the Doctor muttered, striding to the bedside.

Mr Knight leaned against the wall next to the bed, arms crossed, watching the doctor carefully. I studied him for a few moments while the doctor looked through his brief case. His hair was short around the sides, but slightly longer on the top, black strands lay messily against his forehead. A slight stubble created a five o'clock shadow against his sun-kissed skin. A scar trailed from the top of his forehead and through his eyebrow, creating a slit in it, the scar made his already terrifying presence slightly scarier. His impressively strong looking biceps bulged through his black dress shirt, another feature adding to his intimidating looks.