Chapter 13

Evangeline

The car ride was long and painful. I couldn't stop myself from glancing in the mirror, or turning around to look at the sheets Milo was wrapped in. I tried my best not to look at the man driving the car, it only upset me more looking at the person responsible for Milo's death. I could feel Dominic looking at me as I cried silently, almost as if he was begging me to look back.

Just as we pulled up to the cemetery gates, I couldn't hold back my sobs any longer. I completely broke down, loud sobs racked my body as I struggled to catch my breath. Breathing became even harder as my sobs got worse, I was sure Dominic said my name but it was hard to tell over the ringing in my ears.

I barely registered the car slamming to a stop, or Dominic getting out of the car. I felt the cold wind on my face as he opened the passenger door, he leaned forward, his large hands wrapping around my waist as he pulled me to his chest, his hand running up and down my back as the other held my close while I sobbed into his chest. Words couldn't describe how pathetic I felt being comforted by the person who caused my pain, but at that moment all I needed was to be held while I cried my heart out. It had been so long since anyone but Milo had comforted me and there's only so much comforting a dog can do for a human.

"I really am sorry, Evangeline" Dominic whispered, still holding me. I shook my head into his chest as I pulled myself out of his hold. "It doesn't change anything" I said glumly, wiping my eyes. "I know" he sighed.

I turned back around in my seat so that I was sat properly and Dominic went back to the drivers side. I leaned my head against the window as Dominic started the car and drove slowly into the cemetery. I barely even registered that we had driven past the children and infant section, I probably wouldn't have realised at all if it wasn't for the fact I haven't told Dominic that Alexander isn't buried with the other children and infants, or where his grave is.

"I never told you where Alexander is buried" I stated, turning to look at him. He glanced at me quickly, "I know, I had some of my men come out earlier than us to prepare a grave for Milo, I hope you don't mind" he told me. "Well I do mind, I'm the only one who knows where Alex's grave is" I said angrily. "Why can nobody else know?" he asked, looking at me curiously. "I, look there are some people that can't know where to find him" I was beginning to get a little bit frustrated. "And who are these people?" he questioned. "None of your business!" I snapped.

He looked like he wanted to ask more questions, but before he had a chance, I seen Alexander's little memorial. "We're here" I said.

The car came to a stop, and I quickly hurried myself to get out, it had been too long since I'd been here, I could never bare it. Dominic got out and pulled Milo from the back seats. We headed over to the grave and as we got closer I could see the tiny lights flickering from the fairy lights I'd put around his head stone when he was first buried. I'd put quite a bit of money and effort into Alexander's memorial, not that it bothered me one bit, my baby deserved that at least.

I had to be careful when choosing a place for his burial in case his sperm donor of a father or any of his family tried to pay him a visit. I know it seemed cruel to keep it a secret from his family but if they told him where Alexander was buried I had no doubt that when he got out of prison he would use it to torment me in some way, he wouldn't see it as a place where his son was laid to rest, he'd see it as an opportunity to cause me more pain and to show he never seen the sweet boy as his son.

Sometimes I'd wondered if the one positive that came out of Alexander's death is that he'd never have to feel the pain or feel abuse from his own flesh and blood. I had peace in knowing that he was in a far better place than this cruel world, hopefully with his nana and grandpa in heaven.

I didn't even realise I was lost in my own thoughts until Dominic caught me from falling into a hole, literally. There was a deep long hole in the ground right next to Alexander's grave, it was in the same plot seen as though Alexander's memorial was the size of a family plot, with it's an oak tree above it and a white fence surrounding it.

My eyes started to get teary as I looked at the hole, clearly a grave for Milo. What the hell am I doing?!

"I-I can't do this" I stuttered, shaking my head as I looked at Dominic.

"That's okay, Evangeline. I can-", "No I mean I-I can't do this!" I yelled, interrupting him. "I can't just do throw him in a hold right next to my son's grave in the middle of the night, what kind of person even does that?!" I shouted, my voice wobbly. "Evangeline you're grieving, if this is the best way for you to grieve then-"Dominic started. "No!" I interrupted him, "Normal people have their dog cremated or buried in a nice little field or garden or in a river-". "Evangeline!" Dominic yelled slightly grabbing my shoulders to make me look at him. "Breathe, angel", I didn't even realise I was holding my breath, or crying, again. I wiped my eyes angrily and got my breathing back under control.

"There is absolutely nothing wrong with the way you want to bury Milo, Evangeline. If you want your pet to be buried with your son then what's the problem? Is there a rule book on how to bury your dead pet?" he said, I shook my head. "Then do it the way you want to, you could even get a plague or a head stone for Milo if you want to", he was right, Milo was my pet and Alexander was my son, Milo comforted me when I couldn't hold Alex, he means as much to me as my son does. I'll bury him here.

"Okay" I said. "Okay?" Dominic nodded, still holding onto me and looking straight into my eyes. "Yes okay, you're right if I want Milo to be with my son then that's what I'm going to do" I told him, wiping the last few stray tears from my eyes as I turned away from Dominic to get Milo from where he had left him. The fairy lights left a peaceful glow around us in the otherwise creepy, dark cemetery. I decided I had to say my final goodbyes before I buried him.

Pulling back the sheet over, his head I had to hold back tears once again as I looked at his peaceful face. His eyes were shut and his ears flopped down against his head, just like when he was asleep. He looked as peaceful as ever.

"My sweet Milo", I whispered, swallowing to get rid of the thick lump in my throat that just wouldn't go away. "I'm so sorry baby" I told him, "If I could bring you back to life I would in a heartbeat, but I can't" the tears started again, "I-I guess my o-other baby needed h-his doggy" I sobbed. "I'll see you on the other side, precious boy" I told him, leaning down to kiss his head.

I was about to cover him back up until a hand stopped me. I turned to look at Dominic, looking up at him as he pulled out a small teddy, Milo's favourite teddy, he hardly ever slept without it.

"H-how did you get this?" I asked, feeling overwhelmed with emotion. Dominic smiled sadly at me, "It was in the van they brought Milo to the house in, my men told me that he wouldn't leave the apartment without it, he had it with him the full journey" he said. "It's his favourite teddy, he's had it since he was a pup" I told Dominic, reaching for the small monkey teddy. I tucked it tight into the sheets, pulling Milo's paws around it before wrapping them both back up.

"I had a small coffin put in the boot so that we didn't have to put him in the dirt". "You did? Where did you get a coffin from?" I asked, he opened his mouth to speak, "Don't answer that, thank you.".

I stood up slowly, wiping my eyes and pushing my hair out of my face for what felt like the millionth time. Dominic pulled the small coffin out of the boot and brought it over. I helped him pick the bundle of sheets with Milo in and lay him comfortably in the coffin. I pressed a kiss to my fingers and held them to his forehead one last time.

"Sweet dreams precious boy" I said to him, closing the lid of the coffin.

"I'll see you soon" I whispered, too quiet for Dominic to here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So sorry for the long wait! I know it's not as long as my usual chapters, but it felt right to end the chapter here.