Chapter 11

Evangeline

I'm such a fool. How could I have been so naïve? Trying to plead to Dominic's 'nice side'. This man doesn't have a nice side. He's a liar, a master manipulator. He even had me fooled for a second.

That poor little baby boy, being raised by a man as awful as him. How I wish he had someone else to guide him. Where was his mother? Had his father locked her up in a basement somewhere? It wouldn't surprise me, really.

What am I even doing? I've been sat crying and sulking to myself for an hour. I'm stronger than this. I raised my head from my knees and wiped my eyes. I scooted over to the side of the bed and got up. The ache in my legs was prominent, but I don't have time to worry about that right now.

I walked over to the window and pulled back the curtains. I had to quickly shield my eyes from the blinding light, realising this is the first time I'd seen real sunlight in almost three days. Once my eyes adjusted, I took a look outside.

A massive patch of snow covered the garden, well if you could even call it a garden that is. It was at least the size of two football pitches combined and had a tall wall surrounding it with a massive gate in between. A small road rounded the grass and led all the way up to the house. Honestly, if I wasn't being held captive I'd have probably found the view a lot more beautiful.

Lost in my thoughts, I hadn't noticed the massive steel gates opening to let in a van. The engine roared as it rounded the driveway, skidding slightly in the snow before pulling up to the house. I leaned forward to see who it was, curiosity getting the better of me. Two men dressed in thick black coats got out of the front of the van, they were both tall and broad, they looked almost exactly the same with brown messy hair and thick shades covering their eyes.

I watched eagerly as they went to the back of the van and opened the doors. I leaned even further forward, my nose touching the cold glass.

After what seemed like an eternity, the doors opened and one of the men leaned forward to grab something. When the man came back up, he was holding a lead. Is it?

Milo!

Milo jumped out of the van, yapping and barking his head off. I felt tears well in my eyes, I was so happy to see him.

I turned around and practically ran to the bedroom door. My legs were burning, screaming for me to stop but I didn't care. I reached for the door knob and twisted it. Nothing happened. I tried again, the door still wouldn't open. I'm locked in.

My smile dropped and I banged my fist against the door. Son of a bitch! I thought, he actually had the audacity to lock me in!

"Dominic!" I shouted, "Open the door!". No one answered. I banged my fists on the door again, making as much noise as I could. "Dominic I swear to God if you don't open this fucking door I will jump out of the window!", no answer again. I screamed in frustration and punched the door, wincing as I realised the only damage I'd done was to my knuckles. I turned away from the door and huffed. I hate this man.

I stormed my way over to window to open it, I warned him. I unhooked the latch and tried to slide it up. It wouldn't budge. What the hell! I tried again, nothing. I pinched my nose in frustration and tried and calm myself, I could still hear Milo barking so I looked outside. The men were trying to forcefully drag him into the house, he had a rope tied around his neck while they were trying to drag him behind them. Milo started yelping when they tugged on the rope hard, hurting him. My anger grew and I started to pound on the windows.

"YOU'RE HURTING HIM!" I screamed, hoping they could hear me. They couldn't. Milo must have been able to though, because as soon as I'd shouted he stopped struggling and cocked his head to the side. He must have sensed me because he started struggling again, growling and barking. One of the men grew frustrated and walked over to him, kicking him hard in the side, Milo yelped and cried loudly as soon as he did, the man kicked him again. "STOP!" I yelled, tears running down my face as the man kicked him a third time, sending him flying.