Chapter 18

Evangeline

I sat frozen as Dominic's lips moved against my unmoving ones, I couldn't move as his tongue forced it's way into my mouth. It felt like a really vivid dream, and I had to admit, had the circumstances been different, I may have been fine with him kissing me, he was quite handsome looking.

Shame the same couldn't be said for his personality.

But this was Dominic, forcing his tongue into my mouth, so I did the only thing I thought best in this situation.

I bit down.

Hard.

He pulled back quickly, his hands leaving my body and his lips leaving my mouth.

"What the fuck Evangeline?!" he yelled, wiping a bit of blood from the corner of his mouth, I could taste it in my mouth, the bitterness from the tangy metallic flavour making me feel slightly dizzy.

"Why would you do-"

He didn't get to finish his sentence before I was slamming my hand into the side of his face, slapping him so hard my hand hurt, surely hurting myself more than him. He gasped, bringing his hand to his cheek and narrowing his eyes at me in anger. I almost laughed, he was angry?!

"Get out" I said quietly, my voice low, more threatening than I had ever heard it.

"No"

"No?" I asked.

"I'm not going anywhere, this is my house" he said smugly, smirking.

"Well then I guess that means I'll be leaving then?" I asked, standing up and going to walk towards the door, before Dominic grabbed my wrist and pulled me back.

"Crap, look I'm sorry I-"

"I don't want to hear it anymore Dominic!" I yelled, my sight blurring as my eyes clouded with tears of frustration. His hand that wasn't holding my wrist reached out to touch my face to wipe away the stray tear, I flinched away from his touch. The memory of that hand striking me still too raw, the trigger of a thousand memories I did not wish to re-live.

Noticing my fear, he quickly released my wrist, stepping back a little.

"I'm sorry" he said softly, for what I don't know.

"You keep saying that, but it doesn't change anything, an apology isn't an apology if you don't do anything to make up for it. You've done nothing but hold me captive. You've took away everything that mattered to me" I told him, tears rolling down my cheeks. I was surprised by how strong my voice seemed. He stared at me, guilt swarming in his emerald eyes as they looked into my own.

"Evangeline, I will always be sorry for what I put you through, but you must know, I never told my men to hurt Milo, it was quite the opposite. I told them to bring him here safely, I told them no harm would come to the dog" he said softly, my eyes widened as I realised what he had said, my chest heaving with sobs as the weight of his admission hit.

I couldn't trust him. He's only saying that to win me over, to make me trust him.

"I-I don't b-believe you" I said, struggling to get my words out between sobs.

He took a step forward, grabbing my hand and holding it in his. "You have to, I can prove it to you" he told me, his soft voice unfamiliar from a man with power such as his.

"How?" I asked, sniffling.

He said nothing as he nodded towards the door, pulling me along with him with the hand he hadn't let go of since he grabbed it. He pulled me into the hallway, walking to the end of it, quickly peeking in Nathaniel's room on the way to ensure he was still sleeping, we'd have to check his temperature soon.