Chapter 25

This chapter may be upsetting and includes topic about child abuse, sexual abuse and child exploitation. Read with caution.

Evangeline

I can't breathe.

I can't think.

I can't feel.

I can't even hear because of how hard my heart was pounding.

Him, it's him. He was supposed to be in jail. Why is he not in prison?

"Evangeline" I heard my name, muffled as though I was under water drowning.

"Breathe, Angel" I heard the voice again, clearer this time, as though I was being dragged back to shore after being dragged into the water.

"Breathe for me, Angel"

The air rushed back into my lungs, and I looked around frantically, my eyes landing on the large hand on my arm and then on to the gentle green eyes that I once used to hate, belonging to the man I once believed to be evil. I should know that this man was never truly evil, not after all I have seen.

Dominic's mouth moved but I couldn't hear any of the words coming out of it.

"What?" I whispered, sounding breathless as I took a step away from him.

"What is he doing here?" I asked.

"Who? Leon? He-"

"HE SHOULD BE IN PRISON!"

"Evangeline, calm down-"

"Calm down?! CALM DOWN?!"

All I could see was red, he was telling me to calm down? Did he not know who that man was? What that man was?!

Two hands on my shoulders brought me back. I looked into the startled eyes of Dominic, who looked very shocked. "Tell me what's wrong, Angel" his voice soft, as though he was talking to a small child.

"He-he's a murderer"

I must have looked insane. "He's a murderer, Dominic".

"Leon? He's a murderer?"

"A-And an abusive p-piece of shit" I felt my lips quiver, willing myself not to cry.

Dominic's eyes widened, before his face suddenly hardened. Realisation.

"Him? Your baby?" his tone was lethal, he knew.

How he knew? Not a clue.

Did I care at that moment? No.

I nodded, not able to look at him as I felt myself crumbling.

"H-he, I-" I couldn't even speak anymore.

"Shh, I've got you" Dominic pulled me to him, my face buried in his chest as I sobbed into his chest.

"Is everything alright?"

Dominic stilled and I squeezed my eyes shut. Why can't I escape him?

"Get in the car, angel, I'll deal with this" Dominic whispered softly in my ear, I felt like such a coward for nodding but I just could not face that man right now.

I wasn't expecting to ever face him again.

I walked towards the car, not looking back until I was safely strapped into my sight.

Outside of the car, I could see Leon's smirk fading, he almost looked scared.

I couldn't remember him looking anything other than angry, drunk or both. Whatever Dominic was saying to him was really getting to him, he turned to look at me and my breath caught in my throat at the raw hatred all over his face.