chapter eleven

elijah

"WOW, I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU."

"This is insane."

"And you didn't tell us for three and a half months Elijah are you crazy?"

"And you're meeting her in mere weeks. Weeks. What if she's actually an old woman who wanted to feel young again? Or a— a—"

"He's not even listening to us."

I look up from my guitar, mid air-strum as my eyes land on my friends. "I am," I say.

"Oh, you are," Noah replies, mocking my slight accent.

"What do you guys want me to say? I think I'd know if she was an old woman. My grandfather has actually met her."

"He could be lying," Soo-Ah points out, and hangs her legs over my bed.

"Soo-Ah," I say, "There're old people who have literally seen and interacted with her at Jameson. She's Rosemary's granddaughter, why on earth would she lie?"

They're silent for a beat, then two, and I begin to turn back to my guitar when Noah valiantly accuses: "Do you like her?"

I laugh. "I've never met her before."

"So?" Soo-Ah intervenes. "You can like someone's personality. What's it called? Blind attraction?"

Noah nods in agreement.

Look between them for a moment to make sure they're not joking. "Guys," I say, a full sentence in itself.

"Whatever," Noah says, raising his hands up in surrender. "We're just saying."

"Did you tell Mauve?" Soo-Ah asks, referring to my sister.

I give her a look. "She's constantly stressed about uni and barely has time to come home. Why would I tell her?" But I'm partly lying. Mauve and I speak regularly; more than I talk to my dad despite her being busy. I talked to her twenty minutes before they came over.

"You should tell her. She should meet this Josie girl."

"Here:" I suggest, "You meet her after I meet her. Verify she's real. Problem solved."

Twenty minutes of doubtful chastising and unfound accusatory claims later, they finally leave. My fingers itch to send her a note; she hasn't sent any lately, and I'm startled by it. I was never the assertive type with my friends. I am not the assertive type.

But I still leave her a small note by the sink next time I visit Jameson.

Hey, stranger.

Elijah.

Hey, sorry for being quiet. Rough week.

Josie :~)

I leave a Toblerone chocolate on the note.

Hope you feel better.

Elijah.

Me too. Thank you.

You, though? How was your week?

Josie :~)

Really... uneventful. The usual: Hung with friends, visited grandfather, dinner with dad.

But lately, I'm happy. Like I'm smiling through my day, my dad was like 'why are you so happy?'

Dunno. I'm just really happy.

Elijah.

I'm happy you're happy.

Josie :~)