Chapter 8: Sexist Much

When I wake up, I'm hungry, so I quickly do my morning routine and put on some clothes:

When I come downstairs, all of the brothers are already sitting at the table, with Luca, Amado, Antonio and Giovanni being in shorts and without shirt

Ew.

"Don't you guys own a shirt?" I ask.

Antonio gives me a usual glare which I ignore, there's not much to do about it.

The rest of them ignore my question.

"Do you want to watch a movie today? At the cinema in the city?" Asks Amado.

"Yeah, that sound super! What movie do you want to watch?"

"There's this horror movie called The Invisible Man."

"Amado," says Dante, "do you really thinks she wants to watch a horror movie? Look at her, she's just a fifteen year old girl."

"What is that supposed to mean?" I ask, "I heard of that movie, and I want to watch it."

Domenico joins the conversation. "Sorellina, you don't have to prove us that you're not afraid of such movies. If you're not comfortable, you can just admit it, we won't make fun of you."

Antonio rolls his eyes.

"Wait, but why do you think I'm scared of a horror movie? Because I'm fifteen? I'm sure that if you all went to a horror movie last year, you didn't worry about Luca." I look at their faces, that are waiting for me to continue. "You know, I know this is only my third day here, so I'm gonna sound like a bitch but-"

Before I can finish my sentence, Domenico interrupts. "Mireya, no cussing."

"...like a biatch, but y'all really are a big sexist." I exchange some looks again. "Just like those rules, Domenico." I turn my head to him. Was I being too rude? Eh, whatever. "I'm sure you won't argue if my brothers cuss." I've heard them cuss a lot, and the only times said something about it, was when I was there. And before you ask, yes I have eavesdropped the last days. Quite a bit, actually. But I found out nothing too interesting, they just talked about cars and girls and sex. Whenever that latter subject was mentioned, I'd go away. That reminds me of another rule. "And I'm sure that they're all allowed to hang with the opposite sex. And party and drink and smoke. I understand the inappropriate clothing, you don't want me getting raped and shit. I have an understanding for the prohibition of the third floor too, but those other rules are just sexism." The whole time that I said this 'speech', I didn't yell at anyone, nor did I interrupt. I was quite pleased with my speech. It sounded very convincing, though I don't think Domenico will change his mind. No, he will most likely stand his ground.

I sit down on one of the stools. Nobody said anything, I left them speechless. Good job, Mireya. I think.

Then the guilt started the flood in my mind. I was being an ungrateful bitch. They welcomed me into their home, they've been nice to me (except Antonio), they bought me all this stuff, and I still acted like it wasn't enough for me? Like I needed more from them? But like, they already gave me so much. And now I even felt more guilt because I ruined the mood. I looked down, at my lap.

"...I-I...," I stuttered a bit because I was still surprised of myself. "...I'm sorry...I'm being extremely ungrateful...you gave me all this and in return, a-all I had to do was follow some stupid rules. I'm sorry."

I felt some tears swelling up in my eyes, wanting to stream down my cheeks, but I didn't allow them. Don't be a pussy, Mireya. You can cry when you're dead.

"Mireya," says Domenico with a stern voice while I keep my head down, still looking at my lap, "when you finish your breakfast, come to me in the library." And he walks out.

Shit!

The library?!

I must've fucked things up worse than I thought. Didn't I just apologize? Wasn't it all good now?

"Way to ruin the mood, Mireya," says Antonio as he walks out.

I fight the urge to roll my eyes, it wasn't a good time for that.

I finish my breakfast and I head to the library, nervously.

I walk in and I see Domenico sitting behind the desk. I sit in another chair in front of the desk.

"Mireya," Domenico begins, "I understand that you think I'm being unfair because your brothers don't have those rules. And yes, that is because of your gender. But the world we live in is ten times more dangerous if you're girl, so that's why we don't want you to party and drink alcohol. And those other rules, like no cussing or smoking, they exist because we're just your older brothers. Being overprotective is just a package deal."

I nod. I could've expected that they're so protective.

"And don't ever apologize again for speaking your mind. That doesn't make you ungrateful, okay? Just don't yell or interrupt."

I nod again, but then I remember the verbal answers rule. "Okay."

"Is there anything more you'd like to say?"

I go through all my thoughts. He would definitely not give me an answer to all my questions about their family business and the bodyguards and what the real reason is that they know how to fight.

Maybe Antonio?

"Yeah...uhm...what's the deal with Antonio? He blames me for the death of our biological mom, but the rest of you don't."

"Antonio had a closer bond to our mom than the rest of us, so her death hit him the hardest. He's not right for blaming you, it's very important that you know that mom's death is not your fault. It doesn't matter what he tells you. And eventually, he'll get over it. Just give him some time. Also, Antonio is Antonio. He has a rude personality. But he would anything for you, just like us. And if he doesn't, then he will, trust me."

"Okay, thank you."

"No problem."

I smile and I walk towards the door. When I open it, I see Luca and Amado right in front of me. I give them a suspicious look. "Were you two eavesdropping?"

"No?" Says Luca, "maybe?"

I roll my eyes and then look at Amado. "What time are we going?"

"The movies begin at eight," he says, "so I wanna go at 07.45."

"Great!"

A/N: vote & comment please!