Chapter 22: Interrogation

When I wake up, I'm in a room I've never been in before. I think it's a basement. I'm laying on a small couch. There aren't any other things in the room, just a couch and a door.

What is happening? Why am I here? Why did dad do that? Where is everyone?

I stand up and walk over to the door. I try to open it, but it's closed. Fuck.

"Hello?! Is anyone there?" I yell. Then I hear footsteps, and the door opens and reveals both my parents. They close the door behind them.

"Mom, dad." I say.

"Mireya, my dear," my mother says and we hug because it's been a while.

"What's happening? Where am I? Where are my brothers? And dad, what was all that in the car?"

"Why don't you sit down?" My mom asks, and I sit on the couch.

"Mom?" I ask again.

"Honey, dear, I don't know if you know, but your brothers aren't who you think they are."

"What do you mean?"

"Tell us about their family business. What do you know?"

"Not much. They didn't tell me anything about that."

"Not one single thing?"

"No," only that they couldn't tell me.

"Honey, work with us here. Anything at all?"

"Tell us, Mireya. We're your parents, you can tell us," my dad says.

"They said that they couldn't tell me and that I shouldn't ask questions about that."

"Is that all you know?" my dad asks and I nod. "God, you're so useless," my dad mumbles, not expecting me to hear that.

"What did you just say? What the fuck, dad!"

"Calm down," my mom says.

"No, I'm not going to calm down! Why don't you tell me what the hell is going on!?"

"Just accept this."

"No! I'm going to go back to my brothers while you can turn sane again!" I walk over  to the door and try opening it again, unsuccessfully. "Open the door," I demand.

"No," my dad says.

"I said open the door."

"You're not going anywhere."

"Fine, now what do I have to do to make you let me leave?"

"Answer our questions, 100% honest. It's the best for all of us. You and us. Trust me."

"Shoot. Go ahead. Interrogate me."

My dad sighs. "While you were there, was there anything...suspicious?"

Only a gun. I hesitate to answer this one honestly. If I tell them the truth, they might let me go sooner, but they might not let me go back because they think it could be dangerous. "No, they're just normal people."

"If you tell us the truth, you can leave sooner."

I sigh. "I found a gun, but they only have a gun for safety and they don't really use it."

"Go on."

"That's everything, honestly! These past weeks have been very normal. Now, can I go?"

"Not until you tell us more things like these."

"I know nothing, okay? Now, open the door."

"We know you know more, don't lie to us." I honestly didn't know anything more. "Tell us, Mireya!"