𝐴𝑠𝑡𝑟𝑢𝑚

𝐈𝐭 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐚𝐥𝐰𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐮𝐬𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐈 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐛𝐲 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐰𝐚𝐭𝐜𝐡 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐭𝐰𝐨 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐬 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐦𝐞𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐢𝐭 𝐡𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐬❤︎

𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐈 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐛𝐲 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐰𝐚𝐭𝐜𝐡 𝐲𝐨𝐮
𝐭𝐰𝐨 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐬 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐦𝐞
𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐢𝐭 𝐡𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐬
❤︎

NINE-YEAR-OLD Y/N GRACE WINCED as she heard the floorboard creak beneath her foot as she crept down the dimly lit wing of Wood's orphanage. It was one wing of many, and Y/n prayed that the brown rug muffled some of the sounds.

"Theo!" She hissed out into the corridor. "Come out!" She demanded. "This is far from amusing!"

Y/n continued to venture down the corridor carefully, holding her breath as she took every step, preparing herself for the sound of footsteps, moving with purpose to scold her for being somewhere she was not permitted,

"Mattheo!" Y/n stressed again. This was all his fault. She had wanted to stay in her room reading before the matron would come and ring the bell, calling them for breakfast. They weren't allowed to leave their room before that otherwise.

But Theo managed to persuade her to venture downstairs, to the wing that housed the Orphanage staff's bedrooms.

It frightened her to think that each one of the ten-foot doorways that she crept past could have been Ms. Cole's bedroom.

Y/n's hip was suddenly seized in a pinching grip, and she fell backward against a taller figure, who promptly burst out laughing as she yelped in fright.

Y/n wriggled out of his embrace and turned toward him, looking up into the dark eyes of her friend, eleven years old Mattheo Riddle. A lone curl fell into his eyes and he shook it away.

"I am dreadfully sorry." He lied, looking down at her. "But you are far too easy to tease." Theo had grown about seven inches this past two years, and now stood a head and a half over Y/n.

"It is always you or Tom who teases me. I wonder why I put up with it." She huffed. "One of these days it will be me who manages to frighten you!" Y/n declared with determination.

Oh little did she know, that what she just said was an understatement.

"Yeah? I doubt that" he scoffed, ruffling her hair. After all, how could this little girl, who gives all her Sunday biscuits to Tom just because he asks her to, or go fight off the older kids for him when he tells her that he is counting on her, or when he order her not speak with Theo just because he felt like it, guilt-tripping her, reminding her that he was her first and only friend, that they'll stick together as they rule over the world,