𝒂𝒓𝒄ā𝒏𝒖𝒎

𝐇𝐨𝐰 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐬𝐮𝐜𝐡 𝐚 𝐛𝐞𝐚𝐮𝐭𝐢𝐟𝐮𝐥 𝐬𝐨𝐮𝐥 𝐛𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐝 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐛𝐞 𝐞𝐦𝐩𝐭𝐲?𝐖𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐝𝐨𝐞𝐬 𝐢𝐭 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐠𝐨?

𝐬𝐨𝐮𝐥 𝐛𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐝 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞,
𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐛𝐞 𝐞𝐦𝐩𝐭𝐲?
𝐖𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐝𝐨𝐞𝐬 𝐢𝐭 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐠𝐨?

Before Y/n knew it, Mattheo had scrambled up to his feet, and now instead of looking down at him, she had to look up.

Dang. What was that expression called again? Aging like fine wine? That certainly didn't do him justice. Now that Y/n could take a closer look at him, Theo— Mattheo did get those looks. No more were the cute chubby cheeks and dimpled smiles. All Y/n could see was a strong, masculine face staring into hers— sharp jawline, a cleft chin, high cheekbones. His eyes were still dark charcoal and his wavy hair was kind of messy.

Luckily, Mattheo didn't notice her staring since he was too busy taking her appearance in, as if seeing her again for the first time. Y/n's hands clenched.

After what seemed like decades, Mattheo finally spoke.

"I missed you." His tone was tentative— desperate. He stared into the girl's e/c eyes intensely , searching for something. He didn't know what it was, but he wanted to find it in them, anything. She hates you, he reminded himself.

"Oh, did you now." She scoffed, as if seeing him again after all this time didn't affect her in the slightest.

Mattheo felt those words, felt them like a kick to the stomach. Y/n sees his expression and almost laughs, a sound full of mockery. Noting the way she was looking at him, Theo wanted to drop dead then and there.

"I'm sorry Y/n— I know I was late but I tried going back, and you weren't there. I never forgave myself, and— I thought I'd never see you again..." he trailed off, his hand reaching up to touch her cheek. To feel her. Anything. It was physically painful to be this near yet so far at the same time.

Y/n swiftly backed away a couple of steps.

"Late? That's a pretty big understatement." She sneered. After he had spoken those words, it was as if a switch had flipped, and she was suddenly much more aware of his presence. "You knew how much those people hated us— how much they hated me." She fought hard to keep her voice steady as she pointed at her herself. "You have no idea what they made me go through. But you know what's worse? The fact that I thought it was okay because you promised you'd come back."

At this point her eyes were stinging, but there was no way she'd shed a tear for a liar like him.

"If I knew that you weren't going to keep that promise I would've ran away a long time ago. I was foolish to endure it and believe that you guys would come back."