A Fierce Competition

(The above-used image does not belong to me. The credit goes to the rightful owner.)

-----------------------------------------

Clarissa's POV

"You are Lilith Kes Riley, hm?" the man checking the identification looked at me from the papers. He looked like a guy of average strength but good mental power. He seemed tired and bored having to do this sort of desk work but he still maintained his posture and didn't let it slip through his voice, upholding the dignity of this esteemed pack.

"Yes." My answer was monotonous.

"And you're from..." He searched through the papers before continuing, "...Crimson Moon pack, huh?"

"Yes."

"Since when did they have so much population to send one here?" he asked aloud but I didn't reply. I just continued staring blankly at him. He is correct. Crimson Moon pack is a very small pack, so small that I'm the only one representing them.

He stared back at me, obviously, not expecting me to answer so he proceeded with the next step of the procedure, "Your Alpha's letter and authorization?"

I handed him another set of paper I carried with me. Reading through it, he matched some of the information from my personal documents to the Alpha's letter before placing them in a big file with the other similar documents.

He gave me one of his documents and stated in clear words, "The signature on this document indicates that you're willingly participating in this competition and will abide by all the rules as long as you stay here but if you go against it then you'll be heavily punished. You're agreeing with the statement that you'll hold yourself with honesty and honour during the period of competition and in no way cheat or use underhanded techniques. You will be fair and if apprehended then you'll accept any punishment given by the administration. You're agreeing with the statement that you're under no force and if any harm befalls you or your life is endangered or severed, neither you nor your family or pack can demand any compensation or raise any argument. You're agreeing with the statement..."

He read out each and every clause stated in the document in loud and clear before stopping at the last page where he said, "If you agree to the conditions then please sign, but I must tell you one thing."

His face remained stoic but his tone changed from explaining to warning, "Once you sign, there's no turning back. Your every move, your every action, and your every word will be diligently taken into account. You can't sign this today and after a few days go back on it or ask to abolish it or retreat from this if you can't bear with the competition. You must compete no matter what once you sign on it. You can't back out and not even your Alpha holds any authority in this matter. Think carefully and then sign, there's still one day left for the registration. If you're fully ready for this then only-"

He didn't even finish his rant before I took the pen and signed it with conviction. He stopped speaking and looked at me grimly, "I've seen many like you. This adrenaline will burn out once you step in the actual competition and then you'll regret it like many others before."

"I won't regret anything." That was the last thing I told him before I picked up the identification badge needed for this competition. I'm done regretting things. I didn't come here to escape or to back out. I will fight to my death if that's what will get me in there.

As I was leaving, he said, "Here," and gave me a mask.

"You must wear this to conceal your identity like many others as the prerequisite of this competition. Do not take this off when you're with others. You must always wear this during the competition. No one can know who you are and what your name is. You must never tell them. If you do so then you'll be immediately expelled from all the werewolf packs." His words heavily fell onto my ears lightly. For normal werewolves, this is a big deal because expulsion from a pack means becoming rogue and that's the last thing any wolf wants. This is the main rule of this competition. No one must know who you're, which pack you belong to, and what's your identity. Everything must be kept a secret due to the perilous nature of this competition's winners.