Chapter 1: Estelle The Doctor

Hello everyone! Thanks for choosing this story to read! :) I see all these stories on Wattpad that i just love so i thought i'd write one too! Keep in mind though, I've always hated how so many of the stories revolve around unrealistic things. A) girls aren't all shy and dependent B) teenagers most of the time don't just end up falling in love and marrying their high school sweetheart
So with that in mind, I wanted to make my characters still young but also matured. Don't worry though- it'll still make you swoon LOL. 
**Chapters will get longer from here on out, i promise!**

“Stel, they need you on rotations in about five minutes!”, Dr. Chang shouted. 

 I stopped frantically searching through my purse and looked up. “Ugh you’ve got to be kidding me!” Frowning, I went to put my purse down and help out with the overwhelmingly large crowd forming in the ER. I haven’t slept in the past 36 hours and I seriously needed to energize myself with food.

 All my life, all I’ve ever wanted to do was become a doctor. Let’s get something straight though, I wasn’t going to lie about my reasons. Sure helping people, saving lives, blah blah blah was a perk of the job, however, I mostly went into this career due to the money, no point in lying about it now that I’m in my second year of medical school. The sciences were interesting though, and the smiling patients were heartwarming, so I guess this wasn’t complete torture.

 I wasn’t born a privileged life either. I grew up at an orphanage until I was five and then was adopted by a family of four. I thought I had finally been given the chance of living a normal life, however, that was clearly not the case. Long story short, the mother was an alcoholic, the dad was never home, and the two brothers abused me whenever they had the chance. However, being the resilient child I’d learnt to become in the orphanage center, I sucked it up and focused on school and worked in order to avoid being under the same roof as my “family”. After attending a local community college with a full paid scholarship, I had finally worked my way up to UPenn to receive my MD. To say I was proud of myself was an understatement. I was ecstatic, not because I was now attending an Ivy League, but because I was finally thousands of miles away from those who adopted me. Good riddance or what?

 “Erica, you little.. You’ve got to stop referring me to do rotations! There are plenty of other students who can do it!” I moaned as I picked up the charts near Erica Chang. Scanning the charts, I could see that I would be here for another six hours easily.  

 She grinned and said, “Hey, it’s not my fault you’re the only one who’s seen an entire angioplasty performed. Docs here love you”. 

 I frowned, “love me my ass. They only pick me because they know I practically live here. I was just heading out to lunch!”

 Erica picked up her folders and charts and began walking to her next patient’s room. She turned around and said, “not my fault you decided to become a doctor”.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 When my rounds finally finished at 6 pm, I changed out of my scrubs and sprinted to the exit of the hospital, eager to get home. I had my exam coming up in two weeks and I’ve worked way too hard to fail like every other student right now.

 “Hey Stel, wait up!” screamed Mandy. Mandy was my best friend who attended Penn State. She worked at the hospital time to time to watch the physical therapists but other than the fact that we both were the hospital’s bitches, we had nothing else in common. I had light olive tan skin, hazel brown eyes, long black hair, and a height of 5’’ 8’. Mandy on the other hand was the complete opposite with brownish green eyes, dark red hair and pale skin. Though she was pretty tall too, her shy demeanor made her appear small and petite. Mandy was one of those super sweet girls you meet once in a lifetime. Easy to like, kind hearting, but not the smartest cookie in the bunch. But hey, she was an incredible girl for sticking around someone as blunt and arrogant as me.

 I didn’t know if I was always this stubborn and unemotional, however, Mandy was one of those who understood that I never meant to be mean to people. My past just didn’t make it easy for me to be as kind as Mandy was to everyone. Thankfully, Mandy never held that against me and always supported me through every horrible action I’ve made…which to be honest, is a lot.

 “Mandyyy… I’m tired and hungry and exhausted and Netflix is waiting for me while I feel the pressure to study for my exam even though I’m way to tired right now, please don’t ask me to go party again”, I complained. Mandy giggled and said, “you do realize how sad your life is right?”

 I frowned. “Excuse me, at least I don’t go around desperately asking people if there are any parties happening around me.” Now it was Mandy’s turn to frown. She replied, “whatever…sorry for wanting to live a little!” I rolled my eyes, “anyway, what’s up?”

 Mandy recovered and smiled, “Ok so you know the Night at the Oscars event the hospital is hosting? Well, apparently, it’s required to dress up! So now you have to go shopping with me for once in your life!” She started jumping up and down while I grimaced. Great, two of the things I hate put into one sentence: a party and shopping.

 “Mandy, I don’t even know if I’m going yet…”

 Mandy immediately stopped jumping. “WHAT? No no no! I thought we finally got to a consensus on this! You said you would go if I stopped texting Mark all the time!”

 I remembered that bet. Mandy had dated this asshole named Mark for about three years where they were constantly on and off in their relationship. He treated her horribly and was such a bad influence on her that one time I saw her almost attempt to do weed because of him. Safe to say, I wasn’t going to let her hang out with him anymore so I told her that if she let go of this unhappy relationship she was in, I would go shopping with her.

 Mandy smiled, “Great! I’ll pick you up at noon tomorrow and we can go eat and shop! I’ll text Sharon and Megha as well but I don’t know if they’re free because of their comp sci final coming up…”

 Forgetting about the shopping trip, I grinned.

 “I told them not to go into grad school for another four years of coding and other tech stuff, but like usual, no one’s smart enough to listen to me”.

 Mandy rolled her eyes, “go home Stel, you’re getting delusional”.