Chapter 4: Estelle In a Suit

"Ok what did you want to tell me?" Mandy questioned.

We were sitting in one of the high end restaurants in the city as we did every month. It was our way of saying 'congrats bitches, we survived life this long'.

I smiled and quickly released the words I'd been suppressing.

"I'mmovingtonewyorkforthembaprogram!"

"What?!"

"I know this is super short notice but I just found out. They picked me to intern or work at some corporation so I can put my MBA to use..finally"

Mandy stared at me for a while before tears began pouring out, "You can't do this to me! Don't get me wrong, I'm so proud of you Stel, but how the hell am I gonna see you now?"

"Mand, we can still text and facetime and write letters.." I squiggled my eyebrows at her and watched her roll her eyes.

"No one write anymore Stel, just send me emails"

"Haha , will do"

Mandy still looked unsure but grinned nonetheless, "Damn, look at you. Finally kicking ass and achieving your dreams".

I sighed and entered a euphoric state, "You have no idea how much I've been looking forward to this".

"OHMYGOD, you're going to be surrounded by the hot Wall Street boys! I'm so jealous!"

I spit out the water I had taken a sip of and laughed, "It's always boys with you huh? Well news flash, there's no way I'm going to and even if I were, I'm not going to touch them, I have to focus on my career- you know that".

Mandy let out a sigh and leaned back on her chair as she crossed her arms, "I know Stel...that's always what it's like for you. I'm just worried about you. You always work so hard, I mean, when was the last time you accepted a date?"

I frowned, aggravated by the point she was making, "Senior year of high school...but you know what happened."

Mandy's expression turned soft and her eyes screamed pity, "Crap, I'm sorry, you always act like you're fine so I sometimes forget. But Stel, the shit you went through in the past, it doesn't mean anything now ok? You have to believe that".

"Yeah, that's why I pretend it never happened", I whispered.

Mandy reached over and held my hand in hers as she saw the tears I was holding back, "Stel you are the strongest person I've ever met but I see this eating you alive. You didn't deserve any of this but he's doing his time and here you are conquering the world, you have to let go".

I put on the best reassuring smile I had and wiped my tears away. Mandy was a great friend, but she just didn't get it. No one would. All I could do was act emotionless again, just like I had been doing for the past nine years of my life.