Chapter 7: Tori and Nikita

I walked into the floor the next day and immediately cursed under my breathe when I saw the large pile of binders on my desk. I really hoped the deadline to finish was longer than a week or so. I put my stuff down and sat down on my chair to begin the workload.

Halfway through, I saw Nico approach my desk. Before I could dismiss him, he spoke.

"Hey, I figured this work would go faster if we worked together".

I gaped at him (and his perfect face) and sighed, "I guess you're right".

He smiled, "Alright then, you can just bring your stuff to my desk".

Ok now sorry but I was born with a stubborn attitude so I had to fight this, "Um, why don't you just bring your stuff here?"

"Because...you're going to benefit more from me helping you".

I chuckled, "Excuse me? What makes you say that?"

"Cause you're new and I'm not?"

"Last I checked, we both got hired at the same place meaning we both are qualified. Plus my desk is in the corner away from everyone".

Nico smirked and kneeled close to me and whispered, "I know you want me but let's try not to be that obvious".

My eyes slightly widened as I finally understood the hidden meaning in what I had said, "No! I meant we won't be in the middle of such a loud space".

Nico winked and left, motioning me to follow him.

Over my dead body.

So for the next thirty minutes, both Nico and I would stare at each other while we did our work, seeing who would budge first. Joke was on him because there was no way I was throwing away my pride like that. He could use his stupid legs to come near me but I was not going to let his ego become even larger by going to him.

After another twenty minutes, our nearby coworkers began noticing our glances at each other and began snickering subtly, or so they thought. Jeremy was one of the people who was exactly in the middle of Nico and I and he was clearly enjoying our competition.

"I bet anyone on this floor that Estelle over here is gonna run to our boy Nico when she gets to the expense report pages".

Nico and I both looked up at this absurd statement when this older man came up to Jeremy and waved twenty bucks in front of him. My mouth fell slightly open as I took in what was happening around me. The man winked at me, "I don't know Jeremy, she's feisty, I don't think she will, twenty bucks says she'll stay at her spot".

"Ah, that's where you're wrong Jared", Jeremy looked at all of us and continued, "Clearly this old man hasn't seen expense reports". Everyone around us, including dumbass Nico, started laughing at Jeremy's statement. I couldn't believe they were making a bet out of this.

"Boys, she's going to come to me—they all do", Nico said with another one of his signature smirks directed at me.

Alright, that's it, "I know that's what you want but that's not how reality works".

Everyone instantly went ooh and Nico chuckled silently as he moved his head back down to his stacks of paper. I shook my head in amusement and continued doing my work.

Now I wish I could say I proved everyone wrong with ease but I was in fact new to all this and I did indeed become lost with the expense reports fifteen minutes after all the commotion. Sighing and uttering curse words under my breathe, I tried to very discreetly appear to go to the bathroom when in fact I was trying to get to Nico's desk.