Chapter 3: The Opportunity

To say I was dying of boredom was an understatement. We passed dying a while ago, at this point, I was being resuscitated and killed over and over again. I was lying down on the couch provided by the store and looking for my advil pills in my purse. I heard Mandy’s footsteps and groaned. Not again.

“How does this look?” Mandy inquired as she twirled around in her peach coral long dress. She looked so happy that I couldn’t tell her it was too bland. Mandy was having way too much fun with this. We had tried on over thirty dresses and she still hadn’t stopped living this prom fantasy.

 “It looks great, just like every other freaking dress you laid your eyes on” I grumbled as I arose from the couch.

She sighed and continued looking at herself in the mirror. “Stel, you’re worse than all the boyfriends I used to go dress shopping with in high school”. 

I rolled my eyes and replied, “Not all girls have to like dresses Mandy”.

“No…but they don’t enjoy thinking about serial killers and laughing at people fall down staircases”.

 “Ok! That was one time and it was actually really funny! I saw you laughing too by the way”.

 Mandy smirked a little and laughed, “Ok but I never knew who Ted Bundy was until I met you”.

“Yeah good thing I came around otherwise you’d be in some murder’s pants by now”.

“I would not! God Stel I’m not that stupid you know”

“I know, more like horny!” I screamed as I started to enjoy Mandy’s lack of comfort around our discussion.

“STEL! There are other people around here!”

 “And one of them could be Ted Bundy’s ghost, oh my god!”

“I swear Stel you’re literally psycho”

 “As psycho as the Hillside Strangler or the Reaper?”

“I promise you if someone here arrests you, I won’t stop them”

 “Aw but who would protect you against the killers?”

 “No one, cause NOT EVERYONE’S A KILLER” 

“That’s just what they’d want you to think! Face it Mandy, I could be a killer and you wouldn’t know!”

 Mandy’s face went pale in horror while I started pulling out a knife from my purse.

 “OH MY GOD WHY DO YOU CARRY A KNIFE AROUND?”

“To protect myself, we went over this!” At this point I was seriously choking on laughter.

“Stel what the hell? Put that away and stop being crazy!”

I sobered up and put the knife back in my purse, “I’m just kidding Mandy, I bought this knife while you were looking at the vases in the appliance store, I needed one to cook tomorrow.”

Mandy looked unsure as I gave her my creepiest grin. I grabbed my closed purse and flung it to Mandy’s face while I tried to hold in my laughter. Yeah, maybe I was a little strange.

“Ok so we’re done shopping right?” I asked in exhaustion as Mandy drove us back to the hospital.

“Yeah yeah, gosh, we’re done.” She replied hastily.

“Ok good, I have a twelve hour shift to cover and I don’t think my legs can endure any more walking around than necessary”.