Chapter 9: A Decent Conversation

Nico lived a good distance away from my place so by the time I got home, it was already seven and Mandy had texted me letting me know that she would pick me up around nine-thirty. Quickly freshing up and deciding to change into a clubbing outfit after I get food, I went back to my car to drive to the nearest restaurant and grab a quick meal.

I pulled up to the first fast food place I saw and thankfully, it was Chipotle. Smiling at the convenience, I grabbed my purse and shut the car door. Once I had walked in though, I was met with a familiar face from office. Except this time it wasn't someone who irritated the shit out of me; it was Mike. Once he saw me, he grinned and motioned for me to stand next to him in line. Oops guess I'm cutting then.

"Estelle, didn't think I'd be seeing you here right now", he joked.

I rolled my eyes, "There's never a wrong time to be at Chipotle".

He nodded while laughing, "Very true. You looked like you were in a rush, what's going on?"

"Oh it's nothing big. My friends wanted to drag me to some club tonight and I just got home so I'm trying to eat and get ready as fast as I can".

"Oh you're going too?"

I was taken aback a bit. "You're going too?". Mike didn't look like much of a partier. In fact, he looked like someone who would be playing video games at home. I mean he was cute for sure, but more of the dorky cute with his sweater vest and large glasses.

Mike must have noticed my surprised expression and explained, "Oh no not me! I just overheard Nico on the phone with some of his buddies saying that they were going tonight".

I mentally face palmed myself. Of course. I put on a fake smile, "Oh cool."

He chuckled, "You don't have to pretend Estelle, everyone in the office can see that he bothers you".

I give him a toothy grin, "I mean...he's just someone I'm going to have to put up with. He's pretentious as hell but I guess he's good at what he does so I don't mind putting up with him".

Mike nodded again in agreement, "You got the good part right. When he joined our firm two years back, I heard that five different corporations were fighting over him. Goldman Sachs was willing to give him a starting salary of three hundred thousand dollars".

My jaw dropped. No business graduate got a starting salary that high, hell even starting doctors don't make that much.

Mike kept going, "Yeah that was my reaction. Our company ended up giving him the same offer and I guess he chose us in the end".

I stood frozen in shock, "What, why?! Goldman Sachs is the dream for most bankers!"

He shrugged, "Guess he's into healthcare more than straight cash".

It was finally my turn to order but I did that half heartedly considering the shock I was still under. Holy shit, I did not know he was that good.

After paying for my bowl, I waved goodbye to Mike and drove back home. I had about an hour to get ready and that included eating my food as well. Is this really worth it?

I had just finished applying my eyeliner, while also cursing at myself for not buying the liquid liner, when I heard a knock on the door.

Tori and Nikita walked in the minute I opened the door, leaving my mouth ajar. They looked so amazing it was blinding. Now I know every girl says her friends look amazing and it's not always true, but Tori and Nikita were already very attractive people so the addition of a dress and makeup made them stand out even more.